achman

What electronic ignition for 1973 2002Tii?

20 posts / 4506 viewsLast Reply

Hello, new owner of '73Tii here. Finally was able to achieve the dream!

I have searched the forums, and can't find a definitive answer (if there is one) for upgrading the ignition to solid state.

Car is currently stock with Bosch coil and points etc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Just go to a Pertronix kit and use a Bosch RED coil and you will be fine. If you want to go further you can use an MSD or Jacobs unit.

[email protected]

There are MANY threads on the Pertonix, including this one right in the FAQ:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/29/32/

The one for your car is the 1847V. This replaces the points and condenser, and will make the timing a little more stable (the ball doesn't jump around as much when you're setting it with a timing light), but doesn't really increase performance.

nyc tii - Welcome to the club

" Site Search " over in the upper right corner

is a good place to search topics

In your case " Pertronix" or " electronic ignition "

will give you about 3-days wurth of reading.

some folks who have been here awhile

and have read the same topics many

many many times sometimes get impatient

with neubee's like yerself.

WELCOME again ~ and please treat us to some fresh photos

of your car and it's detailed history.

Please give us the VIN and MOTOR numbers.

You'll get in return pages of comments and help

for free.

c.d.

Guest Anonymous

Classy C.D.

And appropriately explained...

ira

Pertronix is a points replacement device only. So if you are looking for an electronic ignition, you can look at the two Shermin suggests or the Crane XR units.

... or you can eliminate your distributor altogether and install a megajolt system.

you need to describe exactly what you want to achieve, a points replacement or a true electronic ignition or something in between.

Not to be a dick, but you need to try the site search again. I pulled up over 1500 articles in .17 seconds. There are a few options and many opinions.

You are definitely talented.

I pulled up a few less options in .22 seconds, my computer must be old.

I probably read half of them, and still wasn't clear after reading all those opinions and thoughts. The Petronix site seemed useless to search.

Thanks for the welcome.

I would phone Pertronix with your dist. number to ensure correct kit is ordered.

Very appreciative of all the replies. I am looking to replace the points but still maintain a factory appearance, so the Hot Spark may be the answer. I will post about what I decide and how it turns out, along with more info about the car later.

Thanks again

I would phone Pertronix with your dist. number to ensure correct kit is ordered.

Definitely a good idea, thanks

Esty Your word is golden, would you reccomend Hotspark over petro? Points bill is startin to add up....................

Esty Your word is golden, would you reccomend Hotspark over petro? Points bill is startin to add up....................

frankly...i've used both pertronix & hotspark and the only difference i can tell is cost...if you take them out of the package, remove any labels, i wouldn't know one from the other

steve put a hot spark in his o2 last weekend and it took him about 2 minutes...very easy to do...remove points and condenser, place sensor over dizzy shaft, attach hotspark module, replace rotor, connect 2 wires to coil and you'll never look back

when i can buy 2 hotsparks for the price of one pertronix, i do and carry a spare in the glove box