• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roundie base vs. Square Tii

ejm213

I've been looking for an 02 for a while now, and I'm weighing a couple different cars. One is a 73 base; the other is a 74 Tii. The base is probably in better shape cosmetically, and so they're both going for nearly the same price -- about $6200, give or take a few hundred.

I prefer the look of the roundies, but the Tii is hard to turn down at that price. I was hoping I could get some input on this, particularly what you all think the values might look like 5 or so years down the road.

Also, I realize it's partly a matter of taste, at least when it comes to roundies vs squares, but if anyone has a pulse on this one, it's you folks. Thanks

As witnessed by 3 recent tii sales on eBay, with prices ranging from $12,100 to $16,600 for sloppy, deeply-flawed, and even badly mis-represented examples, I believe we may be moving from an older model wherein tii's sell at, say, a 25% or 50% premium to non-tii's, to a new paradigm wherein tii's will sell at a 100% premium to non-tii's. Admittedly, all three were round taillight examples, which is truly the sweet spot of 2002 pricing (excluding rarities such as factory turbos, ti's, and cabrio's).

But, let me elaborate. A continuing maturation of the market values goes hand-in-hand with the aging of the model, and a shift from the purchase of 2002's by enthusiastic drivers to, say, enthusiastic collectors. Here's what I believe we will see over the next 10 years. My "model" for this is the Alfa Romeo Sprints and Spiders of the 1955-1966 era (Models 750 and 101), which were available in a Normale version and a Veloce version, the latter of which cost a bit more, gave you a bit more power, sounded a bit sportier, and -- crucially -- was produced in much smaller numbers than the Normale version. I'm going to round my numbers here, so please excuse! Nowadays, where a complete "project" Normale might sell for $10,000, an equivalent Veloce might sell for $20,000. Where a gorgeous driver Normale might sell for $50,000, a gorgeous driver Veloce might be closer to $100,000. Why? Collectors want the rarer models and the more high-performing models.

I am NOT saying that you'll be selling a square taillight tii for $100,000 in 10 years. I can't possibly know. But I do believe the value difference between a square taillight tii and a '74 non-tii will be even greater than it is today. Round taillight cars will probably sell at a premium to square taillight cars. But I don't believe the round vs. square taillight premium will be nearly as great as the tii versus non-tii premium.

All other things being equal -- think rust, think rust, think rust -- buy the tii!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

In the past year, Bring-A-Trailer has featured ~16 Roundies vs. ~6 SquareTails (two Turbos) - At this stage in the game, Roundies are Hot-Hot, but clean examples of SquareTails, and most especially the 74tii will continue to appreciate.

If I were using my money, I'd buy the better Roundie and hang on for the ride--can't really go wrong and 73 was considered one of the best years for the Roundies; plus you don't have to worry about Euro Bumper conversions on a 74+.

If you can post photos, we can chime in with a better recommendation.

-=Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Oooh! Tough question!

If it were me, I think I would lean toward the 73 Roundie. The 74 Tii is tops mechanically, I believe, but I just can't get past the square lights, black grills, faux wood and the bumpers. I know some of you love 'em, but that's just me.

To put it another way, to me, the roundie looks like something Sean Connery Bond would drive, whereas a squaretail looks like something for the Roger Moore Bond.

Don't kill me -- just an opinion!

Hold out for the best example of any 2002. Wish I could follow my own advice ;-)

You can always mix and match styles to your preference. Squarelight cars have more body reinforcements than the Round light cars.

Here's the current version of MLytle's 75 at Summit Point.

DSC_1471_zps343c9120.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

future value is irrelevant if the shell is a rusted out pos. you will spend far more fixing a bad shell that you will ever get back with speculative appreciation.

as Jim said, go for the shell that is the best you can afford. anything mechanical is cheap to fix by comparison body repair and paint.

shell condition first and foremost, shape of taillights second, tii/carb third priority.

i owned a roundie tii once....shell was worth $112 for scrap metal.. what there was of it.....;-)

2xM3

I have heard opinions expressed before (even on this site) that the roundie cars had superior steel and/ or better rust prevention. Any truth to this assertion? And if so, would it color anyone's decision in this case?

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

I have heard opinions expressed before (even on this site) that the roundie cars had superior steel and/ or better rust prevention. Any truth to this assertion? And if so, would it color anyone's decision in this case?
I don't know about that but 1976 shells seem and feel stiffer and better rust proofed.

Ha! I wish I could buy both! Just need a larger garage... and a bigger checkbook.

Thanks for the great insight. I'm not looking at this from an investment standpoint, just trying to make sure that I'm not passing up on a great deal. I've got to think this through, but I think I'm just in love with the roundie look, for whatever reason, and that might win out in the end.

Listen to this old fool who spent thousands of dollars to fix these old pos bimmers. Don't fix anything. Pay more and get a nicely restored, or unmolested original tii in good condition and drive the hell out of it, and sell it when you get it out of your system. Keep a modern(ish) bimmer like an E30 or E36, or E46 as a daily driver.

....DON'T RESTORE JUST DRIVE.....