• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fan hits shroud-motor mounts?

robsanab

I've been hearing a shuttering sound only on hard right turns for a while… has progressively gotten worse to where now just a slight slow turn going into my driveway does it pretty loud. I just figured out it's the fan hitting the shroud! With the engine running I can pull the engine towards the driver's side and there it is.

Thing is the engine doesn't shake excessively and it's not a lot of movement to get it to hit. Looking at the fan in relationship to the shroud it is not centered… should it be? Is it possible for the engine to have moved too far to the driver's side? Is the fix still simply new motor mounts? Seems obvious maybe but thought I'd ask before I try buying parts.

thanks

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

the shroud is a GOOD THING

replace both motor mounts and

trans mount - inspect the left steering

box support arm for cracking/breaks

your left motor mount attaches to that subframe arm

and they all crack!

make sure you have the travel limit stop

bracket on the right mothe mount - see stuff below:

MY02motoroverheadc.jpg

02frontsubframeparts1.jpg

MOUNTS02VS3SERIES.jpg

02motormounts.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

thanks, I figured it out... I had the motor out during the 5sp conversion just a few years ago so I was pretty sure the mounts were OK... my mechanic did the bulk of the work and he is good at noticing such needs. And yes, the PO did the required beefing up of that engine support.

Anyway, upon looking at all that closer I noticed a bolt hanging by a thread... it was one of the the driver's side motor mount bracket to engine bolts... and the other mighty loose. Tightened up and all's fine! i love simple.

Still the fan sits only about an 1/8 inch from the shroud... and no movement in the shroud mounting to give it more room (ain't taken off the shroud). Also I'll have to check a diagram but there weren't any lockwashers on those two block bolts, should there be?? 17mm about 3/4" long.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

• 1 year later...

Diesel.

Can I ask you where you purchased that fan shroud? 

Does it fit the standard fan? As well as the tropical fan?

Thanks,

Emmet

Square taillights came from the factory with the shroud. Check with BLUNT as to current availability; used shrouds are out there. The shroud does not fit the tropical fan.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Square taillights came from the factory with the shroud. Check with BLUNT as to current availability; used shrouds are out there. The shroud does not fit the tropical fan.

Steve

Hi Steve,

What about for roundies?  Will a shroud from a square taillight fit my '73? 

I would be open to trying shroud with regular fan vs. Tropical fan.  Any thoughts on which one is better performing?

Hi Steve,

What about for roundies? Will a shroud from a square taillight fit my '73?

I would be open to trying shroud with regular fan vs. Tropical fan. Any thoughts on which one is better performing?

Well, radiators in the shroud-equipped cars came with slightly different side mounting flanges than those in round taillights. Each side of the factory shroud is held in place by a slotted holder at the bottom and a single bolt at the top. I'm confident a similar mounting system could be added onto an earlier radiator.

Your question of whether a (a.) non-tropical fan with a shroud or (b.) tropical fan without a shroud performs better is one of the many questions I've been pondering for 40 years. Mind you, I haven't pondered too, too hard. With no hard facts whatsoever, however, here's my personal view. BMW clearly made a change when they added the shroud in '74. And the tropical fan already existed at the time the shroud was "created." Simply changing from the stock fan to the tropical fan would have been easy and would have likely cost BMW less than designing a new shroud with its mounting system, and adding an extra factory installation process. But they chose to take a more expensive, more complicated route. I have thus concluded that the BMW engineers viewed the shroud as a superior solution to the tropical fan, and sufficiently superior that they felt no desire to make the shroud accommodate the tropical fan. Of course, I could be wrong!

Steve

post-41123-0-74344100-1396534099_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)