• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Longterm success or failure with Ebay alternator?

autobon7

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-85Amp-Alternator-2002-1600-1800-2000-1966-1976-Generator-/251214837482?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7d9236ea

bnrparts is the ebay seller and has very good feedback. Just looking for 1st hand experience good or bad.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

BNR is pretty good. Whatever you do, do not buy from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/Eagle-Auto-Electric

GL

hamada

+3

We've had two of their alternators fail in our racecar, each in under 500 miles. Mine is on the fritz in under 2000 miles. Disappointing.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

How long have you all been running the "good" ebay alt?

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

No wiring instructions in the box (got the bnr from ebay in link on 1st post). I'm a wiring dummy......help a dummy out anyone? All I can tell you is, it does not plug into the stock 3 spade plug.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

It's a one wire Alt, no more three wires to the regulator.

If you want your dash dummy light to work you will need to separate the blue D+ wire from the 3 female spade molded harness that went into the stock alt. And still ground the new alt to the upper timing cover like your previous one.

Have you read this: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/37/32/

It looks from the ebay listing a hot wire is supplied, which I think is meant to go directly to the battery. If you use the origional hot wire from the molded plug, dissconnect the stock voltage regulator, since it is not needed, being the new alternator is internally voltage regulated.

So far I've bought 3 alternators (2 tii and 1 coupe) and 3 standard starters (boat anchor type) from BnR. All are going strong and have never failed. The oldest alternator is about three years old in my daily driver tii and the oldest starter is about 4 years old.

In my coupe I bought one of BnR's 85 AMP internally regulated units and then swapped out the internally regulated brush assembly for an externally regulated type because I didn't want to ditch the external voltage regulator. Most people don't go that route, but it's easy to do if you want the higher AMP alternator and wish to keep the stock external voltage regulator.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️