autobon7

Longterm success or failure with Ebay alternator?

15 posts / 1123 viewsLast Reply

How long have you all been running the "good" ebay alt?

I have their 80A unit in my coupe, very pleased, they know BMWs.

+1

I have their 85 A in my tii. Works great. I picked it up from their shop. Nice people.

I've had an uprated 100A alternator from BNR for 4 years (mercedes guts in '02 case) with no problems. I dropped by their shop and checked it out. Good guys. Good products.

Guest Anonymous

Eagle also sells them on eBay. I bought an eagle unit. Have logged about 80k miles on it with no issues

4 years with a BNR Alternator...no issues and big stereo etc running in my tii

No wiring instructions in the box (got the bnr from ebay in link on 1st post). I'm a wiring dummy......help a dummy out anyone? All I can tell you is, it does not plug into the stock 3 spade plug.

It's a one wire Alt, no more three wires to the regulator.

If you want your dash dummy light to work you will need to separate the blue D+ wire from the 3 female spade molded harness that went into the stock alt. And still ground the new alt to the upper timing cover like your previous one.

Have you read this: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/37/32/

It looks from the ebay listing a hot wire is supplied, which I think is meant to go directly to the battery. If you use the origional hot wire from the molded plug, dissconnect the stock voltage regulator, since it is not needed, being the new alternator is internally voltage regulated.

So far I've bought 3 alternators (2 tii and 1 coupe) and 3 standard starters (boat anchor type) from BnR. All are going strong and have never failed. The oldest alternator is about three years old in my daily driver tii and the oldest starter is about 4 years old.

In my coupe I bought one of BnR's 85 AMP internally regulated units and then swapped out the internally regulated brush assembly for an externally regulated type because I didn't want to ditch the external voltage regulator. Most people don't go that route, but it's easy to do if you want the higher AMP alternator and wish to keep the stock external voltage regulator.