• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

painting rubber water hoses?

Guest gliding_serpent

Guest gliding_serpent

I just received a set of replacement water hoses for the Tii rebuild. Although stock is nice, I was thinking of adding some tasteful bling. Any thoughts/experiences on painting?

Addendum: it would appear that painting would not do a classic car justice. Thus reading between the lines from some thoughtful contributions... Silicon is the way to go.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/samco-radiator-coolant-hoses-8pc-toyota-mr2-turbo-rev-12-8993-p-15032.html

post-20387-13667667380959_thumb.jpg

Guest gliding_serpent
I mean no disrespect, but colored hoses scream the opposite of tasteful...let alone bling....on a civic it might look neat...

It's like wearing a fancy track suit...doesn't exist...;-)

True, but it is all in the delivery. I figured I needed something to go with the diamonds and LED's.

Also looking for some whistle tips. Thoughts?

Let us know how the painted hoses work out. You'd have to use a paint suitable for high temperature and flexible applications.

IMO - fresh, black hoses that have been taken care of look better. Concentrate on the other bits.

Next question: Does anyone here run those deer whistles on their car? My mom swears by them on her Camry (but she has been hit 4 times).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

first - "painting rubber water hoses?" = somone please phone the local POLICE

second - Deer Whistles? = a whistle CALLS and ATTRACTS an

animal - NOT drive them off. (save yer money) A wake up

call for DEER to move and jump out infront of the next

passing car.

Mom 's got a good score going. Time to retire from that

game. Does she have painted KILLs on her

front fender like a fighter plane?

3458li.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

second - Deer Whistles? = a whistle CALLS and ATTRACTS an

animal - NOT drive them off. A wake up call for DEER to move

and jump out infront of the next passing car. Mom 's got a good

score going. Time to retire from that game. Does she have painted

KILLs on her front fender like a fighter plane?

I was joking Creighton. My parent's are on a first-name basis with the local body shop. Mom drives a lot at night - they live on very rural roads with a high concentration of wildlife. We have tried telling her the plastic thingies don't work.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

" Tasteful bling" is, IMHO, an oxymoron. Clean the mold release off the hoses, apply something like Chemical Guys "BLACK ON BLACK" or their "V.R.P. DRESSING" and you will have a boss looking engine compartment.

Check here for some examples:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,379777/

Unless what you're going for is the "East LA Low-rider" look.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

forget about the hoses I gotta get a set of the road kill combat stickers, now that is some distateful bling, do they make colored sets to id the ones we butcher?

ave Miller

Guest gliding_serpent

Looking at the above linked pictures, I prefer black for the tubes. it is better to bring attention to other components. I will spray my aluminum intake tubes. Maybe spray them black for a plastic look. Maybe I could spray them pink... And the wheels too. I could then put a bike rack on top with a white bike with pink wheels to match. I could then let the rest of the car look like crap.

I was thinking of stancing my car too. I am tired of being able to go over bumps. Looking good in photos is more important.

a whistle CALLS and ATTRACTS an

animal - NOT drive them off.

obviously, CD, you have not heard a deer's whistle.

Sounds more like a death scream than anything else.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You have a gorgeous one-family-owned tii and you want to do WHAT to the coolant hoses? Bling them?

While it's certainly your right, couldn't you find a more suitable victim?

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I don't think they belong on ANY 2002. Or anybody with any glimmer of self respect for themselves or their car. Small story; not related to 2002's but rather to "blinging" of cars.

At a local Volvo club, I came across a disgusting 850 wagon which was passed down in a family to the son with 70k on it, this kid painted the beautiful candy apple red exterior on it a ghastly electric green, tinted the windows pink, painted the beautiful wood trim with some horrible carbon fiber effect, recovered the black leather seats with what looked like a sweater knitted by somebody's blind grandma, put a fart can muffler on it, and ALL the hoses under the hood were silicone and electric blue.

I wanted to vomit profusely in his air cleaner (He replaced the STOCK cold air intake with a cone that draws WARM air into the turbo)

This is a similar engine bay to his, he painted everything you see in this picture blue though- very poorly.

6480090019_medium_zps4886a1c3.jpg

I hope this shows you how "bling" can ruin a perfect car. Please don't do that to your beautiful little 2002.

Then again, it IS your car, and you can do whatever you want to it.

But please don't go too crazy :)

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles