• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pumps: rebuild vs OEM vs e21 vs e30 vs other

Guest gliding_serpent

Guest gliding_serpent

I am on the hunt for a new oil pump and in my searches most appear to have disappeared from the market.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,377519/highlight,oil+pump+rebuild/

Anyway, the link above failed to get answers on a pump rebuild. Anyone know of a good person for me to send my pump to , including approx costs? It works well I am told, but in my rebuild I don't want to risk putting back in a 40 year old pump without at least a tune-up.

Any links on a new pump would also be appreciated.

I am also looking into E21 and E30 pumps. Anything I should know if I do get one? Any mods required?

Thanks for any help.

on the oil pump; chances are good that unless the engine has really high mileage,has been run with excessively dirty oil or little/no oil, the pump will still be within specs.

That being said, a 320 pump is identical to a 2002 pump except for the pickup portion. And a 2002 pickup bolts right to a 320 pump. I suspect the same is true for the M10 motor used in the E30.

Some years ago I found a closeout on 320 pumps ($75!), swapped pickups and in it went to my rebuilt engine. But I checked clearances on the original pump (204k miles) and it was still in specs!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest gliding_serpent
on the oil pump; chances are good that unless the engine has really high mileage,has been run with excessively dirty oil or little/no oil, the pump will still be within specs.

That being said, a 320 pump is identical to a 2002 pump except for the pickup portion. And a 2002 pickup bolts right to a 320 pump. I suspect the same is true for the M10 motor used in the E30.

Some years ago I found a closeout on 320 pumps ($75!), swapped pickups and in it went to my rebuilt engine. But I checked clearances on the original pump (204k miles) and it was still in specs!

cheers

mike

thanks for that info. I am expanding my search. I think I found a thread on another forum where you got your pump in the closeout. Small world.

Apparently all the guts of the oil pump are still available-

as Mike says, you can 'tune it up' on your own with the

judicious application of refreshed parts.

I bought a couple of E30 pumps on closeout for exactly that reason...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest gliding_serpent

I should add that 2002, 320i, and 318i pumps for the M10 are all available through Bavauto for around 350$. I just ordered one and won't believe it until I have it in my hands as I was previously told they were on indefinite back-order and I would be 8th on the list (I guess the shim is the part which is no longer available). Comparables for the same pump ranged from 500-650$ for a new pump so I would jump on it if I were you.

Now I just need someone to pipe up and say I am screwed without the shim. ;-) Still should have my original however.

great post on shims with diagrams FYI

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,330238/view,next/sid,5dae74119b03a35fe3b3e3c3a2331041/

• 2 months later...

Metric Mechanic used to sleeve the wear area in the pressure relief valve in their HD pump.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Guest gliding_serpent
So the prices have gone up at Bavauto.

The e21 320i (part #11 41 1 286 493) is 390

and

The 2002 (part # 11 41 1 269549K ) is 623.

So - I could order the cheaper pump, perform a pick-up transplant - and effectively save 200 bucks?

I would get the e21 and use your old pickup. Bolt on deal acording to others.

• 4 weeks later...

Rockauto has the e21 pumps for $161, not sure if you're looking to spend that much but it's certainly better than buying an 02 pump.

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)