• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need someone to look at my suspension quote for me.

Doorslams

Can someone give me their email address so I can send them my estimate to have my suspension rebuilt and let me know if its totally nutz or about right. I don't know how much this stuff usually costs but don't want to get screwed. Thanks in advance. Oh and keep in mind I bought front and back bisteins separately and gave them to the shop to put on.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just rebuilt my suspension just a few months ago with no lift. For me to drill out the old ball joints and install new ones took about a hour. Now my struts were out of the car but it looks like yours would be too. I would recommend buying parts from Blunttech.com I think I paid around $21 per ball joint. I think.

Hope this is some help.

Um......I'd have to say the labor amounts are "a bit" high. While a shop has to make a fair wage, it looks like they are charging the labor as if each piece was being replaced separately, when in fact the whole set of things is removed at once and then put back together with new parts. Are you having poly bushings installed in the control arms? If not, new control arms already come with bushings installed and are listed at $90/each at BavAuto right now. For $1500 labor I'd be happy to fly out, do the work, and take you out to dinner! This is why I do all my own work.....

Best of luck, Fred '74tii & '69GT3

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Ah ok hereit is.

Woah. Keeping in mind that I like to do this kind of thing myself because it interests me, that looks like a lot of money for what isn't really a lot of work. If you have tools, a jack, jack stands, and can get by without having your car for a day or two, you'd be better served by buying the parts yourself, getting some local 2002 folks to assist you with doing the work, and treating your helpers to decent meals and beer. You'll come out way ahead financially, you'll learn a lot in the process, and you'll meet some great people.

That's been my experience anyway.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Um......I'd have to say the labor amounts are "a bit" high. While a shop has to make a fair wage, it looks like they are charging the labor as if each piece was being replaced separately, when in fact the whole set of things is removed at once and then put back together with new parts. Are you having poly bushings installed in the control arms? If not, new control arms already come with bushings installed and are listed at $90/each at BavAuto right now. For $1500 labor I'd be happy to fly out, do the work, and take you out to dinner! This is why I do all my own work.....

Best of luck, Fred '74tii & '69GT3

I'd be up for the same deal. I'd really like to meet Fred, and the flight would give me 5+ hours to get to know him ;-)

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Yeah it seemed a little high to me also. Is anything on here more difficult that I should have them do then I can do the easier stuff? I don't know any of the Oh-2 peeps yet. Only had it for a couple months. I also don't have a garage...barely a driveway. I also don't have this money...heh. Just seeing if I should have them do ANY of it or just wait and look for a friend of a friend or something.

Yeah it seemed a little high to me also. Is anything on here more difficult that I should have them do then I can do the easier stuff? I don't know any of the Oh-2 peeps yet. Only had it for a couple months. I also don't have a garage...barely a driveway. I also don't have this money...heh. Just seeing if I should have them do ANY of it or just wait and look for a friend of a friend or something.

In the DC area, the BMWCCA has monthly Do-It-Yourself sessions that are scheduled for BMW shops in the area. If they have the same in your area, you could get access to a work space for a few hours. You also live in 2002 Mecca, so you should be able to easily arrange to meet with other 2002 peeps. I suggest you post a Help Wanted in Sacramento thread under '02 General Discussion, and describe your situation. If you have the parts in hand, you and a small gang can probably get the work done in less than a day.

williamggruff

25 hours labor @ $61.88 per - is stiff!

learn to do these things yourself, and or get another

estimate from a trusted shop recommended by members here

12 hours labor should be enough for any 'expert' shop

to make time on the job - unless they see you have issues -

meaning rusted chassis that will require extra time to

disassemble. This IS NOT a new clean car where things

just unscrew with ease. More often any repairs are

"restoration" instead of "REPAIR". You pay for the extra time, effort,

complications. That is why this shop is covering for that with a 25 hour

estimate.

get another estimate for the identical work