• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

m10 with s14 crank

jamesnutter50

Right I am starting to get the bits needed to put an s14 crankshaft in to my 2002.

I have done alot of research on here and I think Im right on saying the best way to go is -

2.3 s14 crankshaft

standard s14 rods with custom pistons (do any were stock ready made ones?)

modify the front timing case to take the s14 front seal and pulley.

Are there any other things I will need to do etc ? or places to buy parts to make the build easier ?

Thanks for any help

James

For high performance applications you may want to consider rods longer than 144mm, with raised pins in the pistons for a better rod ratio. Any more details of your build?

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I think the stock S14 rods need to have the block clearenced. I have Crower rods in mine and they are svelt enough to not need any mods to the block. Also Eric Kerman turned the end of the crank to take the 2002 timing chain gear and 2002 pulley and thus the un modified timing cover and 2002 oil pump chain.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

turned the end of the crank to take the 2002 timing chain gear and 2002 pulley and thus the un modified timing cover and 2002 oil pump chain.

John

could you clarify this?

i was under the impression that using the S14 crankshaft pulley only required modifying the lower timing cover crankshaft seal diameter. i was unaware of additional mods to the chain gear and chain.

btw, several years ago inkatouring posted photos on the FAQ showing where he ground clearances in the engine block for the S14 rods. it was primarily at the base of the cylinder bores; didn't appear to be much.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

turned the end of the crank to take the 2002 timing chain gear and 2002 pulley and thus the un modified timing cover and 2002 oil pump chain.

John

could you clarify this?

i was under the impression that using the S14 crankshaft pulley only required modifying the lower timing cover crankshaft seal diameter. i was unaware of additional mods to the chain gear and chain.

btw, several years ago inkatouring posted photos on the FAQ showing where he ground clearances in the engine block for the S14 rods. it was primarily at the base of the cylinder bores; didn't appear to be much.

The crank from an e30 2.3L s14 has a male front end, the pulley is fastened using a 36mm nut (M24-1.5), and torque spec is 440 N-M (324.5 ft-lbs.)

In my stroker motor, Kerman took a male 2.3L crank and made it into a female 2.3L crank by turning down the front end and tapping it to accept a bolt. Specifically, an SAE 5/8"-18 bolt. The torque specs for a grade 5, 5/8"-18 bolt indicate that it should be tightened to approximately 170 ft-lbs.

CAM_0656.JPG

CAM_0698.JPG

It also appears that the water pump was modified to properly align with the crank pulley. Specifically, the water pump shaft was shortened, and the front of the water pump milled by about 3/16" to allow the water pump pulley to clear the front of the water pump.

If I recall correctly, the bottom of cylinder #4 needs to be ground slightly to allow clearance for the stock s14 rods.

[EDIT] Based on the photos of Steve's build, it's probably the bottom of cylinder #1 that needs grinding. Also, my motor uses a 2002 M10 crank pulley, not an s14 crank pulley.{option}[/img]

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

This is brilliant, that link basically answers all of my question's. I will send this on to my engine builder to have a look at.

were is a good place to buy pistons ?

Regards

James

Hi James - how's tricks? Ireland Engineering is a good bet - Jeff or Jeremy will know exactly what you're talking about and be able to spec up the right piston for your build. I would say phone them and not to rely on email coms so much, but back up anything on email so there's a written record of what you're ordering. Postage shouldn't be a killer, but allow for VAT and import duty when they land in the UK. There are obviously places in the UK that could supply, but can you trust them to know your exact requirements for a hybrid m10 (e12 or 121 head for example)?

Cheers, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I have always been interested in the 2.3 stroker motor. What type of HP and torque gain can one expect? Say you have a 9.5 Comp M10, 292 cam running a 38/38....you build a M10 to a 2.3 stroker, 292 cam 38/38 carb. Any idea what the potential gain will be. I just am looking for a rough idea. I have looked at M42's, S14 etc etc to put in my car but I really enjoy the simplicity of the M10 in it. Just am wanting more power. I drive it as a DD so I am trying to stay away from duals, would go EFI but prefer the 38/38 if it can be used with the stroker

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I'm curious to know why one would choose to mill down the S14 crank (which I believe is hardened) as opposed to just boring out the M10 lower timing chain cover. I had the latter done by Terry Tinney and it was something like a $50 job and would seem much less risky than messing with a hardened crank. Is it so that you can use the stock M10 pulley?

The crank from an e30 2.3L s14 has a male front end, the pulley is fastened using a 36mm nut (M24-1.5), and torque spec is 440 N-M (324.5 ft-lbs.)

In my stroker motor, Kerman took a male 2.3L crank and made it into a female 2.3L crank by turning down the front end and tapping it to accept a bolt. Specifically, an SAE 5/8"-18 bolt. The torque specs for a grade 5, 5/8"-18 bolt indicate that it should be tightened to approximately 170 ft-lbs.

CAM_0656.JPG

Right on!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I would stick with the s14 pulley (damper). BMW had a reason for using it.

The s14 crank has much bigger and heavier counter-weights then the standard M10 crank. I suspect that there are some resonance (harmonic) problems with a regular, non dampening pulley at high RPM.

The lowest price I found for the s14 pulley is $469.00 at ddmtuning.com.

The part number is 11231308577

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.