• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel re-gluing question

The leather on my wheel is loose, but is in pretty good shape. I don't want to have it re-covered. Has anybody figured out a way to remedy this?

I was thinking of inserting a hypodermic with glue in it, through the stitching at various points. Is that just a crazy idea?

Thanks in advance.

T

post-1307-13667660895755_thumb.jpg

That actually sounds like a really interesting idea! Problem will be getting the glue to cover the whole area.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

That's how I'd do it. Works on veneer. Works for epoxy repair on strip built kayaks.

Inject the glue and clamp by wrapping tightly with plastic cling film like saran wrap.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Love your wheel, not to rain on the parade, don't do it. When the glue dries it becomes rigid, leather is flexible, you will end up with a mess. Have the wheel re-stitched and/or reupholstered with fresh leather

PS - what is probably going on, the foam around the steel core maybe dis-integrating

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

After closer inspection of the wheel, it's not really leather. It's a leather-like coating over some kind of foam. Even the stitching is just molded rubber.

It's an original wheel from my ti. I think I will give the glue a try, I've got nothing to lose....or do I?

After closer inspection of the wheel, it's not really leather. It's a leather-like coating over some kind of foam. Even the stitching is just molded rubber.

that is correct. even the highly-sought-after Petri sport wheel is fake leather.

i have the same ti wheel with the same issue. if you can glue the rubber so it does not rotate on the rim, you might consider stitching a leather Wheelskins wrap around it. i just completed one on a standard wheel and it really cleaned it up. please post up your eventual results.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

That is a wheel specific to Euro models and I think rare and worth saving. Paul Huber gave me one for my touring. When I sent it off to have it "recovered" the company told me what you discovered. The molded covering is difficult to remove so I had them just cover over it. But since yours is loose, I am not sure what to say.

The molding is good replica of a leather covering.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

It's an original wheel from my ti. I think I will give the glue a try, I've got nothing to lose....or do I?

I've gone the new leather route. Now to refinish the spokes and reinstall the trim. Maybe you could reglue yours by injecting black 3M trim/weatherstrip adhesive.

post-1480-13667660957204_thumb.jpg

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

• 1 year later...

Just following up on this old post. Finally got around to doing it today. I used a 2-stage epoxy and a hypodermic needle 

thick enough for the glue to pass through. Seems to have worked fine, can't see the holes from the needle.

I injected in various spots around the wheel, and waited a while then squeezed the wheel al around to spread the glue.

I'm going to let it cure overnight and check it tomorrow. Did it in two stages, after I found that on the first go round I had missed a 

few spots. Have to do it fairly quickly though, as the glue starts to clog the needle after about 5 minutes. Luckily I had a few needles.

I'd post another picture, but doesn't look any different from the original one.

Hi Tony!  I think your solution is great and hope it works out as expected for you!  Just wanted to add one other option for anyone else interested in freshnin' up a steering wheel.  On my previous '02 I opted to rewrap the steering wheel with cork bicycle handle tape (just over top of the existing/dying leather).  Made it a little bit thicker of course but felt really nice and for the $15 it cost for the wrappings, I was quite please with the results!  Just thought I'd share!

-Carl

post-32704-0-22500800-1387042732_thumb.j