• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me diagnose this "whirring" sound

Grover

I've been hearing a "whirring" sound in my car recently that I'm trying to pinpoint. My guess at this point is that it is something to do with the transmission. It changes a bit in tone and sound with rpms, does not go away if I put in the clutch pedal, and is not simply tire noise.

Excuse my lack of video making skills, this is the first one I've ever done one and hence the first time I've ever posted on YouTube. I don't have a clue how to edit or I would have made it shorter. However, during the slow moving freeway section (around 1:25) you can hear the sound I'm referring to. I mounted a mic right under the dash thinking it would pick up sound from the transmission tunnel, not taking into account it would also pick up some sounds from stuff bouncing around in the glovebox. Woops. You can also hear a slight whistle at a couple of points under acceleration, and this one is something to do with the ITBs I put on recent, need to figure that one out too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAq9BWAPkSo&feature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance.

.... 2:17 - 2:30

sounds like rear stub axle bearings

center drive shaft bearing

heard better when your off the throttle and coasting-

if you leaned the car left.... then leaned right from

the straight line - you load each rear hub a little,

and if the pitch of that noise changes - it's the stub

axle bearings for sure

the bad side will have produce the slightly louder/changed pitch sound

try closing the windows next time

to eliminate wind noise. Excellent video

02driverlookingatflattireRACEPhoto.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks CD, the stub axles are not something I would have thought of. The guibo is relatively new and in good visual condition, as is the center support bearing which is maybe five years old. I'll try your suggestion of turning a bit to load different sides. And yes, I know the sound would be better with the windows closed but I was actually intentionally testing the off camera mic under the worst case scenario and ended up being pretty happy with how little wind noise it picked up ( I also made a little foam sock to go over the mic.) thanks again.

sounds like it could be a bad wheel bearing or possibly a bad tire as well. Maybe do a quick looksie at the tires just to rule that out.

BTW : @ 24 seconds into vid, nice dirty look to the car that slowly pulled over without a signal ....haha.

gopro camera ?

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

Those tires sound loud and out of round , or rubbing. What wheel/tire set up are you running?

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Obviously I'm not 100% positive (or I wouldn't be asking the question) but I don't think it's the tires. Until a couple of weeks ago I was running 205/50/15s, but then recently put on some 195/60/14s. The sound seems identical with both wheel set ups, and there is no evident rubbing anywhere on the tires, rims, suspension points, or the body itself. In other words, right now I don't believe it's wheel related, but I haven't ruled out the bearings. Keep the ideas come though...

As for the camera it's a Contour+ with an external mic.

Tom,

If you want, you can come by my house and we'll swap wheels/tires from my car to see if that changes your sounds.

Oh wait...you're busy this weekend.

Both days? or just Saturday?

It also helps to have someone else drive as you lean around from one corner of the car to the other to see where the noise is coming from. Driving takes a bit of concentration. (the general public would counter this comment)

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Definitively sounds like a wheel bearing. If you serviced your car a little while ago check that they everything is tight. I had this happen once and it was the nut not securing the bearing, once I got it tight everything went back to normal and it sounds exactly the same as the noise in your video.

And yeah great vid! What do you use to fix the camera to the car?

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...