• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much to rebuild a head?

LimeySteve

I'm getting a head redone for a friend & valves cut & installed in my head ready for a larger cam on my car. I got a price of $495 to go through my friends head, valve job , weld corrosion /surface, bead blast , polish shafts surface towers etc & assemble . Is that in the ball park ? I am only use to V8 heads , not OHC stuff. Shop is in LA area with good reputation.No price on mine yet ( I will be assembling my head once the valves are installed & mine is surfaced )

Cheers

Steve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Thats seams about right. My M20 head was pressure tested, resurfaced, had a three angle valve job, new valve guides installed (and power honed), polished the cam tunnel, hand honed the valve stems to fit the guides, and had the valve stem height set for about the same price.

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

When it comes to it dont skimp, just cause one shops cheaper doesnt mean your going to get the same service, reputation is key. I would say thats a fair price in the end.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

$895 at TEP, but here's what they did:

Rebuilt Cylinder Heads (Using your core)

All our heads are rebuilt the same way. 100% complete. Heads are

disassembled, Bead Blasted and Pressure tested. Cracked heads can be

repaired but it is usually cheaper and easier to use a different casting.

All New valve guides (All M10 heads get late style E21 guides that use the

good small seals..) Are installed. Seats and valves are replaced as needed.

3 angle valve job with hand lap and back-cut. Surfaced top and bottom with the upper front cover to insure a leak free installation . All new Rocker

Arms, Rocker shafts and Dual valve springs. Reground cam with your choice of 282, 288, 294, or stock camshafts. Assembled with Viton valve stem seals. Includes the complete head gasket set.

And they matched the front cover to assure a good fit.

Thanks , I know they are a lot more work than a V8 head , I like their work just thought the price was a bit high. We are supplying a Schneider cam & dbl springs , so I guess all is good.

1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Thanks, I know they are a lot more work than a V8 head , I like their work just thought the price was a bit high. We are supplying a Schneider cam & dbl springs, so I guess all is good.

I'd suggest that's a darn-good price if the shop is repairing the corrosion 'properly' (heating the head on a plate, welding, surfacing and another leak test). -KB

I paid:

200 for a decent 4 angle valve job, surface head.

40 for replacing/hand hone guides, refacing seats, valves

25 for blast, pressure test, check for cracks

125 for porting intake

Granted i had purchased the parts separately, not sure if that's included but you can save a few bucks if you shop around for your own parts...

79' 320i (comfy modified daily driver)

73' 2002 (weekend beater crusier/rolling resto)

73' 2002tii (superfast rust bucket undergoing restoration)

72' tii (parts car)  ...99' SV650  ...00' KTM 380 2 stroke ...06' Kawasaki Ninja 500R ...96' F-250 7.3L turbo diesel (towtruck)

I paid:

200 for a decent 4 angle valve job, surface head.

40 for replacing/hand hone guides, refacing seats, valves

25 for blast, pressure test, check for cracks

125 for porting intake

Granted i had purchased the parts separately, not sure if that's included but you can save a few bucks if you shop around for your own parts...

who'd you use, and were you happy with the workmanship? i'm local.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

...?! " hand honed the valve stems to fit the guides " ?

never heard of that. You never touch the hardened

valve stem surface.

You do ream new installed guides if needed to fit the valve

stem Dia.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

...?! " hand honed the valve stems to fit the guides " ?

never heard of that. You never touch the hardened

valve stem surface.

You do ream new installed guides if needed to fit the valve

stem Dia.

That is only for cars with muffler bearings and low diclometer fluid... At least I'm pretty sure about that....

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

I paid $260 for 3 angle valve job, weld up corrosion , surface ,polish rocker shafts & shim the dbl valve springs. I had done a port match & runner clean up , waiting on the Schneider 292 Cam. Tomorrow I clean the polished rocker shafts & assemble , ready for the cam . I have a bad valve at the moment & as it's a daily driver I want to be down a minimum amount of time.