• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you recommend a replacement steering wheel ?

deschodt

I have always favored the e-28 leather M-technik wheel.

You need to reverse the horn ring contact, but it's an easy do.. !! Turn signal cancellation works w/ no mod whatever.

And... it's a genuine BMW wheel.. !!

Cheers!

post-20448-13667655330323_thumb.jpg

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

If you want to use a BMW steering wheel Ive used these with good results.

BMW 320is wheel. Fits great but as others have said you will need to trim the plastic cover a bit to fit. Turn signal cancelation works. Might have to mod the horn contact.

001.jpg

Next is an early 735i steering wheel. Everything worked with this wheel, horn, turn signal cancelation, etc. I drove with it for a while and liked it very much! This wheel was also on early 6 Series cars too. Might be alittle too big for some.

1984_BMW_e23_735i_Euro_Market_Sedan_Interior_1.jpg

Last is a Sport wheel I got off an early 535i. I like this wheel the most. Its just the right size and the spokes are spaced perfectly for spirited driving. Bad thing is the horn and turn signal dont work with this wheel. Photo taken by Malagalaga.

imag0231v.jpg

Hope this helps!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

You have some decent options presented to you in this thread. However, I will caution you as someone who went through several steering wheels. Decide what look you're going for first, and don't be swayed by what you see and read here. For example, I tried the M-teknik wheel shown above. It is a very nice wheel, but it didn't look right in my car. I wanted something more old school and less modern. I went through a few steering wheels before just biting the bullet and going with the Prototipo I had decided was too expensive. Here's my Prototipo, installed. It's the newer, very slightly dished model in black.

P1000745.jpg

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Standard Momo hub for the 2002. Everything works except turn signal cancellation.

If you have part#32321118825 from your stock steering wheel (or about $12 new from BMW), you can use it along with the Momo hub and still have turn signal cancellation. I'm using one with that same Momo Prototipo wheel and Momo hub. Good luck,

John

32-32-1-118-825.jpg

OldStyleMomoHub.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The Nardi 360mm/14" in my 02 purchased off Ebay about 18 months ago. There was a fellow in Japan that takes sells them, they are used but in excellent condition. Paid $40 and nearly that much for shipping. Already had a Momo hub so also bought an adapter off of Ebay for about $20.

Earl

74 02 Lox

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

post-2922-13667655456514_thumb.jpg

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

no idea what this one is, the grip is great, but cheap looking. grip is rubber. i may use this one at the track

04112010_013.jpg

this one is great all around good grips, nice leather.

DSCN3873.jpg

this one came on the car, looks more period correct, but not my favorite to use. i like the fat grips at 2&10 that the other wheels have.

BMW_2002_017.jpg

2xM3

If you want to use a BMW steering wheel Ive used these with good results.

Last is a Sport wheel I got off an early 535i. I like this wheel the most. Its just the right size and the spokes are spaced perfectly for spirited driving. Bad thing is the horn and turn signal dont work with this wheel. Photo taken by Malagalaga.

imag0231v.jpg

Hope this helps!

When I mounted my e28 sport wheel, I used my old 02 wheel's little pin thing, drilled a hole and installed it, plugging it into the spot where the horn ring attaches on the e28 wheel. So, you can hack it to fit.

• 2 weeks later...