• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Werks Shop?

13Carat

I'm a total newbie owner of '74 2002tii -- has anyone had any dealing with this shop in Libertyville, IL? Just wondering where I can get a complete diagnosis and recommendations for a complete rebuild -- at least to the heavier stuff I can't tackle in my tiny garage. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Take your car to Ben Thongsai (sp?) in Westchester. He's honest, reasonable, and he knows more about '02's than the people at the Werkshop.

The Werkshop has an excellent reputation, but its extremely expensive. I also had a negative experience with them: I had them do a "post-purchase inspection" on my car, which not only cost more than quoted ($285 vs. $200), but contained false information. For example, I was told that replacing the transmission mount would entail dropping the transmission, for an extra $500 in addition to replacing the mount itself. I was also told that I need new brake calipers when all I needed was an adjustment. At the same time they missed stuff that Ben later pointed out (for free) (e.g., that I had the wrong lug nuts (for steel rims) for my alloy wheels).

Hard to imagine the WerkShop would attempt to "pad" an inspection just to fatten their wallet, but ya never know.... They do have an outstanding reputation for restoring cars.

I understand there is a tech, Dave, up there. He knows more than you and I put together. Bet he would tell you like it is. NO B.S!

Having said all that, I didn't take my car there for chassis preservation.

mac.

Take your car to Ben Thongsai (sp?) in Westchester. He's honest, reasonable, and he knows more about '02's than the people at the Werkshop.

The Werkshop has an excellent reputation, but its extremely expensive. I also had a negative experience with them: I had them do a "post-purchase inspection" on my car, which not only cost more than quoted ($285 vs. $200), but contained false information. For example, I was told that replacing the transmission mount would entail dropping the transmission, for an extra $500 in addition to replacing the mount itself. I was also told that I need new brake calipers when all I needed was an adjustment. At the same time they missed stuff that Ben later pointed out (for free) (e.g., that I had the wrong lug nuts (for steel rims) for my alloy wheels).

I too have had a negative experience (and an extremely expensive one at that - on a restoration). Extensive details available upon e-mail request. I would not, at this time, recommend them unless you have an unlimited amount of money to throw at the car and don't care how big the final bill is.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well-preserved body. You should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally used up, screaming "WOO HOO! What a ride!!"

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back to life, any one have the website with Bens infinite wisdom on 2002s, thought I saved it but cant locate now.

thanks

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way