• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet questions

Dachshund

Hello everybody! This is my first time posting, but I just acquired a 1973 2002tii, so you might see me asking a lot of questions around here. I don't want to bore you with all the details about my car, so I'll get right to the point.

My carpet is gnarly. My goal is to have a fun car to drive on the weekends, not a show car, so I am not looking for the most perfect carpet in the universe. I have no real experience working on car interiors or upholstery, but I am hands-on with everything else car-related, so I am hoping that the carpet replacement will be a DIY project.

Question #1: Which carpet? I found three options (but feel free to recommend a fourth if you have one):

A. It looks like Esty has put a lot of thought into these carpet sets that sell for $245. Anyone have feedback on these? Esty, please feel free to weigh in -- even though you obviously have a conflict of interest in recommending a carpet, I would value your advice, because you have clearly put energy into this.

B. Here is a one-piece molded carpet on ebay that is also designed specifically for the 2002. Advantage: cheaper! Sells for $150. Disadvantage: harder to install? I would have to cut holes in it and wrestle with it to get it in. And the floor coverage might be great, but would it cover up the sides as well? Anyone have experience with these?

C. I have a vague feeling this would be cost-prohibitive, but the third option would be to take it to a shop that specializes in car interiors and pay them to do it. Does anyone have a sense of what that might cost?

Question #2: Is there anything I should consider doing before the new carpet is installed? I was planning on cleaning/scraping the floors and maybe giving them a quick spray of engine paint if called for. Is this also the time to run some speaker wire if I want to upgrade the audio system? Should I wait until I get replacement seats, or is that not really an issue? (The car came with non-stock seats, but they are big and make it impossible to get to the back seat because they do not fold down, so I would like to replace them some day.) Anything else I should be thinking of?

Question #3: Do people glue the carpet in place, or just lay it down and let the law of gravity keep it from moving around? If adhesive is used, what type or brand is recommended?

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can provide.

the cut & sewn carpet sets are really easy to install but all sets, sold by all vendors will require some snipping here & there when gluing it in...as you stated, the molded sets are bulky and by comparison to the cut & sewn, a bear to install and require a ton of glue and patience to get all the folds and wrinkles out

i've bought and installed practically every online vendors sets except GAHH...i didn't want to pat $800.00 to find out how there's fits...most, if not all other online vendors are nothing more than re-sellers of Auto Custom Carpet, in alabama...they do no more than take the order, send it to ACC where it's stamped out, run thru a binding machine then ruined by gluing heavy, too thick padding to the back of every section

chris at only02 is a great guy & sells a set but it's perhaps the lowest quality material i've experienced

for the best selection of color ACC offers the best, for an economical set, buy from only02, different colors of the same material are priced differently...then my sets start at $225 and are hand made with love in my own home

i recently noticed that dave varco, aardvark racing is now reselling ACC sets at a competitive price

whatever you do, have fun

I really like Estys products, she's very easy to work with and will assist you through any snags (pun intended), check out my basic write up on what I did when I replaced my haggard carpet with Estys quality 15 piece. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,362974/highlight,/sid,a0214940a248ee78194bcf61f0d9ea3c/

If you pull the carpet, I'd remove the tar crap and clean/seal the drain plugs and put down some dynamat type material. Its a pain in the was but its rewarding.

I followed Estys instructions and used only a little glue, I let gravity do most of the work. It looks good, make sure to get a set of Estys mats to protect that carpet too, worthwhile investment.

post-21001-13667652585114_thumb.jpg

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Here's a link to some of Esty's work. Prices may have gone up a little since this thread, but her work is outstanding. Must be nearly a hundred members of this board who have purchased and installed her carpets.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,322710/highlight,esty+carpet/

I once installed a one piece carpet from a source I don't even remember, and that was one of the hardest, least pleasing jobs I've ever done on a car in the nearly 55 yrs. I been working on cars. I wouldn't wish that experience on my worse enemy (actually, I don't know that I have any enemies, but still wouldn't recommend the one-piece route for new carpet).

Bob Napier

one piece moulded carpets were first used with the 74s and are in all squarelights; never used in (at least US) roundies.

Their main drawback is they make it a real PITA to access the pedal bucket for repairs, maintenance, lubrication etc. Also when the driver's footwell wears out, you can't replace just that section; you've gotta do the whole thing.

From what I've seen of Esty's work, she makes top quality stuff. Soon as she finds the proper material, she's gonna make me a trunk carpet to protect my mint trunk boards--and replace the old rubber backed kitchen carpet scrap I have in there now...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Welcome Doxie,

I've used World Upholstery stuff since the early 80's when they were still called XKSS. Good stuff at a good price. Sure, there is better stuff out there, but you will pay for it. It all depends on what is important to you and how far your budget will take you even after you double it.

Nowdays, the internet (and this forum) give us many choices so we can tailor our projucts just so. I have obtained all the parts to re-do the interior on my 72. I ended up with a set of World seat covers in the original pattern black vinyl. I had Blunt order up a factory headliner for less than what World was charging at the time. The rear parcel tray was purchased from the FAQ store, and my (one piece) dash was bought from another FAQ member.

The door panel backs and mylar repair is from Dave Varco, and finally, carpet is from Esty. Hard to beat her deal for the quality you get.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm about to try a carpet install for the first time, so I'll hold off discussing that aspect until afterwards; what I can relate is the quality of the materials Esty uses. I had occasion to compare it to a OEM set from Germany that, admittedly is 4-5 years old, this (Esty's) is much more substantial. Further, the carpet that came with my car (I've had it 2-3 years) is about half the weight of the new set. I suppose it doesn't help that it was obviously installed my a 12 year old, but the fit is horrible. If anyone cares for a lightly used black/black used carpet, they are welcome to discuss it with me. Buy it from Esty and skip the heartache and pain. My two cents... Kevin[/i]

Plus, Esty and I have teamed up for a slick audio solution for the front of the car. I sell a discrete kick panel that accepts speakers, and Esty makes application specific covers that match the rest of the carpet. Installing the kick panels without speakers, in preparation for audio upgrades later, is a good move. (Ask me how I know)

MVC-001F.jpg

dreamsicle.jpg

Here's a link for the For Sale ad:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,329333/

I will have an under-seat rear sub enclosure available soon as well, as a companion piece.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I'm about to try a carpet install for the first time, so I'll hold off discussing that aspect until afterwards; what I can relate is the quality of the materials Esty uses. I had occasion to compare it to a OEM set from Germany that, admittedly is 4-5 years old, this (Esty's) is much more substantial. Kevin

kevin...the set you settled on, which i believe you got yesterday is the exact same material as stan's aka 1971Ginger, above...if you find any difficulties installing it give stan a shout, he's a great guy and i'll bet he can give you some tips about how he did it so well...that was his 1st install as also and he did a super great job

here's a link to a thread by stan just after installing it...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,877493/highlight,/#877493

also if you need help, don't be shy, give me a yell

Thanks everyone, this is great feedback.

Napes, that is exactly what I feared when looking at the one-piece molded carpet. I can easily imagine wrestling with that all day and then still having it look bad.

1971Ginger and mlytle, those are great photos of your work. You have inspired me to include sound-deadening material in my project. (Although that stuff is not cheap!) And it is really helpful to see photos of work in progress.

eurotrash, I will keep your panels in mind, though audio upgrades are pretty far down on my list!

esty, you have gained a customer. Unfortunately I will have to solve my minor sunroof-leak issues before I proceed to upgrade the interior, and that will probably take me a few weeks/months/eons. But when the time comes, I will be getting in touch with you.

landon, thanks!