• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extending 32/36 Manual Choke Cable- Any one have any advice?

1971Ginger

SO the new 32/36 that went into my car over the weekend is a manual choke and the solex cable is not long enough to extend.

Ive bought a generic cable from O'kragens but its no where as nice as the BMW one. I am thinking about figuring out a way to disconnect the current cable from the button on the steering colum and attach the new to fit. Otherwise I was thinking of an elobrate "scissor" type lever utilize the current cable's length ( about 6 inches too short in total) and make an adapter.

I know electric and water chokes are less worry free but I like the simplicity and trustworthyness of a properly adjusted manual choke. I can feel the flaps opening and closing under my command.

Anyone got any advice for me? Either of a way to re-use the factory choke button or any mods?

Thanks,

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

LONG PIECE OF WIRE?

my 1602 has a chokelight where I expected the e brake light.I will use the stock when I install the 32/36 and 1800 manifold what ever it takes

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

i may have an extra if you're interested - shoot me an e-mail

jturner437 at earthlink dot net

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

I have a heavy duty mountain bike gear shift lever and cable that has served me well for over 10 years now. It's mounted directly under the steering column out of sight, but easily accessible. Very smooth and precise.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

1. Make a longer supporting bracket that fastens to the carb--same as what's on there but a couple of inches longer so it'll reach the sheath end of the OEM cable. Clamp the OEM sheath to the end of your new bracket, using the clamp from the original, shorter bracket.

2. get a piece of choke cable (piano) wire close to the same diameter of the original inner cable wire--any stiff wire will do.

3. get a small metal connector--basically a brass sleeve with two screws threaded into it. Use this to connect the existing choke cable wire to your extension. Thread the end of the extension onto your carb's choke control and you're done.

Mine's been working fine since around 1979 or 80.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had the same problem on my SoCal to midwest trasnplant 68. The 32/36 water choke wasn't even hooked up...(no block provision) so I converted it to a manual with a kit. I ended up using the $7.99 choke cable kit from the autoparts store and it doesn't hardly look nice enough for my lawntractor, but it works.

--> 1968 2002 <--

I got a long choke cable that is the same design as the original Solex cable off an old Mercedes at the local PIck Your Part. The Mercedes was a 4 door 4 cylinder with two Solex 40 PDSI carburetors (Almost identical carbs to the one that came on the early 02s). Anything else is inferior in build quality. And the most important feature on the BMW and Mercedes cable is the notched cable section and spring that fits into it which prevents the cable from moving back slowely and altering the idle. There are 2 notches; one at normal driving position once engine is warm and one at cold start position when engine is cold and choke cable is pulled. The 32/36 manual choke version is fickle at cold starts and the

Slavs