• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So i wanna buy a 2002...

timmy

This would be my first 2002, actually it would be my first car at all.( I'm 26 and just decided to get my license) I have been reading as much as I can about them and other cars to be as informed about my decision as I can. I found a pretty cool 76 in cali but i had a few questions that i couldn't find answers to. Are the 75's that much worse on performance then earlier models from the emission regulations? And how can I tell if a 76 was sold in cali and has all the same changes that the 75 has? I read that the 76 is the best for the first time 2002 owner. Does this really hold true? Thanks for any help you can offer.

.........Buy it from someone in TX ... Only roundies no squaries.......

Just joking My first 02 was a 1970 only 6 fuses to deal with. All the 02's are easy to work on -IMHOP. Get a BMW blue book manual or Haynes 2002 book..Lot's of pictures good instruction.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

sorry, roundies and squaries?

Up to 1973 the tail lights were round, after they were square, so lies the line of demarcation... "its a roundie" verses "its a squarie" the best style is up to the the guy that owns one or the other, just ask.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Run away.

Quickly.

Don't look back.

Still there? OK. You have been warned.

Don't be quick to buy. Do your research. I saw your post being unclear on what a roundie is. The more information you have, the better the choice you can make in your purchase.

2002's are old cars and not for everybody. You need to honestly assess what your skills and budgets (time and $) may be. You can learn many of the skills needed to repair and maintain these cars, a lot of us did the same, but be prepared to spend the time and possibly the money in the process. That may mean being without a car for a time, or blowing the budget and eating ramen for the next week. Some parts are NLA and others have gone to stupid pricing. Luckily, most of the stupid pricing parts are the beauty parts, like grilles and such. The running and reliability parts are still somewhat reasonable and available.

Talk with the people here, try to meet up with a few, and maybe get a few rides in others' cars to get a tast of what you might want. As was said, buy a Haynes manual before you buy the car. Read through it and it should give you a sense of what you would be in for and what you could tackle yourself.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Good luck on your search. There are a number of 2002 owners up in Denver and I'm sure they'd be happy to take you for some ride a longs.

the above statement is true as i've taken a few rides from teh guys, but rides are few and far between, especially now that winter is here. the guys around here are super nice. going to cali to get one for myself is my fantasy. best of luck in your search.

matt

FAQ member #4044

Guest Anonymous

If I'm not mistaken, 76's originally sold in California were identical to the 75's. So (unless you live in CA), you'll want to get a 49-state '76. I believe you can tell by sticker in the engine compartment (someone can confirm this).

At this point, a previous owner would have probably removed the emissions stuff, depending on where they registered the car.

I am a first-time owner with a '76, and I'm very happy with it. The round tailight cars look cooler, but you tend to pay a bit more for them, and it might be best to have as few restrictions (year, color, sunroof, etc.) as possible so that you buy the best car (i.e., the least amount of rust) that you can find.

One issue with the '76 is that the floor pans are prone to rust more than other years. So something to check for.

Good luck!

Hugh

.........Buy it from someone in TX ... Only roundies no squaries.......

I can tell you who to not buy it from in Texas...

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

These are very expensive to keep on the road. Parts are expensive and they are known to rust.

Best to buy one that has already had work done to it to your acceptable level.

I am easily going to spend 3 times what I paid for the car to get it right... but I got F'ed like a housecat...

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

As has been stated--read all you can--the archives on this board are a wealth of information. Meet other owners and talk to them.

A good possibility is to watch for a '76 in California...they are the only 2002s that still have to pass CA emissions, and many won't, or would cost more than the car is worth to pass. Thus they become bargains for out of state buyers who don't have the CA test to pass.

As for "good" years to buy--for roundies, the general consensus is a late 72 or any 73--no air pump and minimal emissions stuff to remove. Two barrel carb already on the car, and still good quality interior materials.

For squarelights, 76s seem to have the fewest driveablity problems caused by the emissions stuff. They are also fitted with 3.90 diffs (3.64s on all other US 2002s) that gives 'em back the acceleration of the earlier models that was lost with emissions and additional weight. And adding an overdrive 5 speed gives you a nice crusing rpm on the highway.

Good luck, and welcome to the madness

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the unsolicited words on my Mintgrun car, she really is a brilliant car & with a little time & money she could be a superb example. As of right now she's a great driver & a tidy enough looker. Absolutely the best condition of the 4 I currently own.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I bought my first 2002 5 months ago. It's a '76, that had a clean body, a good engine, and a clean interior. Everything else has been a project. And so far I have invested more than what I paid for it, which has been all mechanical and electrical issues. All in all, those are the easiest things to repair, but time and money are needed. I highly recommend to drive someone elses that is in good shape so you have something to gauge. It will be hard to find something original, so if you can find a solid restoration, that will be your best bet. By all means, stay away from rust as a first-time buyer. Also, find a good garage that has experience in 2002's. Most of them are really good, helpful, and very trustworthy. It's an iconic car, and people love to keep them on the road. Best of luck in your search. Be patient and have fun!

wow you guys are awesome. i really thought that was going to get brushed off as some noob question. im still up in the air about what im going to get but 02's are just so cool. im thinking about a first gen bronco the 02 or a bav. its nice to know i can come here and ask stupid questions that i couldnt figure out by myself and get honest answers. thanks guys.