• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump issue

BLUNT

My Orig style pump started leaking over the summer and I grabbed a newer style out of the crash kit and installed it. I used the same insulator block and the pushrod that was specific to the pump. I'm not sure who had the longest rod...the outlet fuel hose length is not the same due to location.

AutohausAZ/Worldpac shows this Pierburg (13 31 1 265 192) for a 2002:

13311265192.jpg13311255727.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

easy explanation. but one has to go back to the white books to see PARTIALLY why, and then have insight on what bmw AND the direct importers are doing. first, the white books. we all know there were 3 pumps for the carb engines. the early one that was rebuildable, then the brass top one, up to 74, and then from 74 on. if you dont believe me, check the white books, i always do. so we are looking at the non rebuildable ones. for up to, but not including usa 74 my, the pn is 13 31 1 265 193. still available from bmw. then, from 74 my on, 13 31 1 265 192. also still available. however, checking bmw etk, 8/2011, there is a 3rd pump, 13 31 1 261 622, which etk says fits 9/75-7/76. there is no reference to that part number in the white books. further checking with bmwna, the 193 and 622 both have stock in germany, ONLY the 192 has stock in the us. which generally means the 192 number is still popular. i suspect the difference in the 193 and the 192 is how the inlet/outlet is clocked, but i dont quite remember. i have NO idea how bmw came up with the 622, but it ONLY fits usa cars. the pump rod is correct for all 3 pumps, since the early one is nla.

now we go to the direct importers. since only 2 of them carry this pump, and both carry the same one, i suspect this pump actually is for a vw, but the supplier says it can be used for bmw. suppliers dont know everything. and it is easier to carry 1 part that fits a bunch of cars, instead of the exact part.

lastly, do NOT confuse OE with OEM. these 2 acronyms are widely misused and generally misunderstood in the parts business. this pump is oem, but it is NOT oe.

I know the difference between OE and OEM and that pump pictured came direct from BMW.

then the third problem comes in. bmw mobile traditions. having already gone thru this, when mobile traditions, or bmw, remakes a part, sometimes they are lackadaisical about details. iow, they dont give a shit. that is why there are problems with stuff like tii fuel lines, m1 clutch slave, 2002 rocker panel clips, early rear bumper pieces, and just lately, 2002 door stops, to name a few. there are more and more mistakes on etk. i know of a couple parts managers who still keep the old fiche and books around for reference. you can complain, but it dont do no good. and for us, we find out about it the hard way, a mad customer.

Ken Inn

My Orig style pump started leaking over the summer and I grabbed a newer style out of the crash kit and installed it. I used the same insulator block and the pushrod that was specific to the pump. I'm not sure who had the longest rod...the outlet fuel hose length is not the same due to location.

AutohausAZ/Worldpac shows this Pierburg (13 31 1 265 192) for a 2002:

13311265192.jpg13311255727.jpg

dunno about autohaus, but worldpac dont show that one no more

Ken Inn

Please see attached photo. On top is my customers original 40 year old pump. On the bottom is the OE BMW pump I supplied to him to replace it Part # 13311265192 He is using the correct push rod. Ive sold 30 of these combos this year with no issues. Note the slight difference in length of the protruding spring. My customer installed it this way and the pump failed in 100 miles. He stated it was difficult to install with the added force needed to compress the added length of spring. Has anyone else run into this?? There are only 2 combos I know of .. the pushrod is #13311255727

Any insight would be appreciated

I see what you are asking Steve. Any chance you have another new BMW fuel pump to compare the bottom one too?

Probably best to compare the replacement they send you with the new(bad) one in the picture and see how they look side by side

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Please see attached photo. On top is my customers original 40 year old pump. On the bottom is the OE BMW pump I supplied to him to replace it Part # 13311265192 He is using the correct push rod. Ive sold 30 of these combos this year with no issues. Note the slight difference in length of the protruding spring. My customer installed it this way and the pump failed in 100 miles. He stated it was difficult to install with the added force needed to compress the added length of spring. Has anyone else run into this?? There are only 2 combos I know of .. the pushrod is #13311255727

Any insight would be appreciated

I see what you are asking Steve. Any chance you have another new BMW fuel pump to compare the bottom one too?

Probably best to compare the replacement they send you with the new(bad) one in the picture and see how they look side by side

Yeah but Brandon shipped it out 5 minutes ago. I would have to track fedex down. Ill have another in a day or 2

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I recently replaced my fuel pump (I ordered from AZAutohaus...though Steve just supplied my rear muffler and chrome tip...thanks!) while the website photo showed something more similar to the original with pressed on cap, I received one that looks identical to the lower one in the photo, it came marked Pierburg and I assume it is what is currently available.

You do have to apply a good amount of force to compress the spring partially in order to get the nuts started, but fit was fine otherwise. I have probably put a few hundred miles on without an issue so far.

I have heard stories about folks shaving down the isolator on the side of the road in order to get a few more miles out of a pump, so I can't imagine the rod length is hyper critical.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

I just checked the invoice from the dealer on the new pump I got 3 mos. ago and it's a 192 version of a Pierburg - runs great, but, as stated above, I'm having vapor lock problems with it.

At c.d.'s recommendation I just ordered some insulating sleeve material from Pegasus Auto Racing to put around the coolant hose that runs right under the fuel pump. I'll post how that works out once I've had a chance to road test it.

Bob Napier

Here's a quick test to see if it's too long-

make sure the plunger's all the way in (the cam's rolled to its low point)

then install it.

If it needs to be sucked down more than 2-3 threads, it ain't right.

Why? BMW has too few part numbers for supersession? Mobile Wartburg

doesn't give a shit? (at least partially true) Global Warming?

Me not know. Me do know, too long, no good. (in this applicaton, maybe not others)

It really does lead to diaphragm failure.

And kids. No, wait, that was something else...

How to fix? Shorten rod, add part of another spacer. Pain? Yes. Endofworld.swf? "Rawng..."

now fire our sheet.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I bought the one that looks rebuildable,from Bav.Left me stranded and wound up having it towed .Measured pushrod - lenght is in the spec section of dvd.for both styles use same rod -still could'nt get it to pump worth a darn. Like prostrate problems - week stream -couldn't hardly piss -I mean pump.Went all electric- pressure reg-inline filter - zoom zoom.

100.00 down the drain plus another C note for the other stuf.The pump doesn't work on the m10 engine in my opinion. FUBAR

Catman

I did the things yesterday no one wanted to -

So I could do the things today no one else can afford.