• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody ever restore a license plate FRAME?

webthread

Hi there, i came across this old license plate frame a while back (I used to hoard them). Anybody have a technique or DIY for bringing them back to life? I could give it a stab, but if someone's already done it, I'd like to hear how you did it. Thanks, Jay

BMWEscondido.jpg

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

don't know about refinishing ....

but ..... might you have seen one that says:

Mission Viejo on the top

Saddleback Valley Imports on the bottom

I would sure like to find one. My front one got broken years ago and an original license plate frame from Saddleback would be neat. They closed down years and years ago, moved to Irvine, and became Irvine BMW.

Cheers,

Carl

What I did was send mine out to get re-chromed. I then painted the recessed background myself. Here's a pic. Kind of tough to make out, but this is the best I can find right now.

p1010334_376739.jpg

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I'll keep an eye out for the Saddleback and Weber plates. I used to typically grab any license plate frame that was from a european car dealer, are there any that are highly coveted from a BMW dealershp? That Brecht above is the only BMW one I have.

I know for Porsche it's Vasek Polak in Hermosa and they go for $100's. I used to live less than a block from the dealership and probably could have just asked them for a few.

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

When I worked in El Segundo in the late 90's, I walked into Vasek Polak parts dept years ago and they gave me a set of license plate frames. Here's the last one I have left on my 74 tii.

G-Man

post-17089-13667646791057_thumb.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Nice! not to hijack my own thread, but are you still in the south bay? Also, what seats are those? recaros? got a pic of your interior?

When I worked in El Segundo in the late 90's, I walked into Vasek Polak parts dept years ago and they gave me a set of license plate frames. Here's the last one I have left on my 74 tii.

G-Man

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

They are Recaro seats from an E21 I found in a pik-a-part yard in the SGV and had recovered in tan. Here are some pics of my interior.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,337322/highlight,/

Here is my blog on the restoration of my 74 tii

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,343731/

I'm currently deployed to Qatar but I now live on the central CA coast in south San Luis Obispo county.

VP license plates are worth a lot, I understand Porsche enthusiasts are paying stupid money for a VP license plate frame. I took my VP frame off my tii and will only use it for car shows, etc. Someone with a screwdriver could easily make off with it in a few seconds, I don't want to risk it since it's my last one.

G-Man

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Vasek Polak BMW as well, but the BMW guys don't spend $$$ for them. :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I got a very early Peter Pan motors- So San Francisco plate frame on my 67 - The frame was so brittle that it snaped- Got to find the right person to weld it,

Gordon - Did you leave your Wallet in El Segundo ???

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

I had the same issue, I had an original Ocean Motors in Santa Monica (now Santa Monica BMW) license plate frame and it snapped when I put it in to a parts bin to clean it.

Sorry, I didn't leave my wallet in El Segundo but I left a lot of brain cells behind from all the partying in south bay (Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beach). Good times but I'm glad I don't live in South Bay anymore, way too crowded and expensive. I enjoy the central coast much more. I get to enjoy my tii on the twisty roads of S SLO and N SB county. I also don't miss being stuck on the 405 freeway anymore.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Hey Gordon,

when you get back home, go visit Colby Jack Cafe in Atascadero.

http://www.colbyjackcafe.com/

My "niece" Natalie owns the Cafe. Her dad and I were in the Navy 40-something years ago. When Natalie was very very young she used to cruise around with me in my '74 2002tii, she liked to go fast with the windows down and the windwings jetting air onto her.

Tell her Uncle Carl sent you.

Cheers,

Carl