• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My rear is hurt

RSlater

Yesterday while sitting at a stop light a 17 year old kid in his mothers Lexus decided he didn't want to pay attention and rolled into the back of my beautiful 02. I was just stunned and couldn't speak for a couple of minutes, I was heart broken. Luckily the kids mother came over to my house afterwards and was very cooperative. The first estimate I got was $2700 big ones. Hopefully it will get fixed fast and look just as good as it did.

Any recommendations on body shops in the so cal area that know 02?

Before and after shots.

Ryan

web.jpg

web.jpg

Ryan

76 jadegrun "Helle"

Thats no good :( I bet a lot of it can be banged out without too much trouble, but I'm no boddy man.... Kids need to pay more attention :/

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

That doesn't look bad as long as the sides are ok. Look very carefully for damage above rear wheel arches. That's where they usually give up but you are probably saved by your big bumper.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Ouch man. I'd say try Culver City Customs: http://www.yelp.com/biz/culver-city-customs-auto-body-culver-city

I know 1 2002 owner that was very satisfied with their work, and I think another FAQ member can vouch for it as well (JRhone).

Good luck man. Don't let insurance try to total your car.

1972 2002 Malaga (soon to be Verona) daily driver/project.

Don't be heart-broken; you were lucky. Many rear-end collisions are serious bad news for 2002s. Yours is fixable.

I had a woman hit me about four years ago doing about 5mph and it totalled my 2002. As it turned out, I was lucky, too; the car was a rusty POS under a ton of Bondo and cardboard!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Ouch,

Sorry to hear that...

I also took Josh's recommendation on culver City customs which move and changed their name to Collision 1 at 4744 Adams blvd Los Angeles 90016. Josh chose Raj to do the work because they chose to pound out the panel over a cut and replace. I personally think the job was amazing.

Raj is the guy to talk to. 323-734-3333

I'm also dropping my car off for a total frame off restoration. I'd be nice to have a 2002 companion at the same shop.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

That isn't too bad. As long as it didn't buckle your sides... your options are

bang it out - (may end up with some flaws inside your trunk but the outside will be fine. plus, your car will stay original)

replace the rear clip with a new one (old one gets cut out along the old weld seams, brand new factory BMW piece of metal gets welded back in place)

I'm one of the people Hassan mentioned that went to culver city customs.

your job is a walk in the park compared to the dent mine suffered. Mine caused buckling and other issues around the entire rear half of my car. The guy they have working for them is an old metal smith and was able to heat, cool, bang, press, roll, my rear end completely back into shape without any replacement panels.

Talk to Raj. Say 'Josh' sent you.

Be prepared for the repair to take longer then you had anticipated.

But they do good work.

They are about to spray another FAQ member's car once get delivers it to the shop as a naked shell.

If you search my user name on the faq, you will see some postings about the accident repair.

-Josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Similar happened to me a few years ago but my damage included the qtr panel. I spoke directly w/ the dad and we agreed to 3 estimates and he would stroke a cheque.

Saved me the hassle of dealing w/ adjusters, and kept his rates from going through the roof

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

A girl with Daddy's big bumpered Volvo picked up a guy at a bar, he was messing with her when she came to a stop light. I happened to be between her and her apartment.

4-16-2010_007.jpg

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Thanks for all the kind words. I gave Culver City Customs a call and will take it in for a look and check out the local guy on Foothill. I have looked at the rear quarter panels and they don't seem to have any damage. Will look at the trunk from underneath. I hoped the panel would be able to be pounded out rather than replaced and all that is involved with that. Luckily the other family wants to keep it off their insurance so hopefully they just cut me a check and be done with it.

Ryan

Ryan

76 jadegrun "Helle"