• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time buyer - opinions?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

I've been interested in 2002's for a while and have recently decided to buy one. I have taken a look at a few and I have one I potentially want to buy. This is the best example I could find in my area (Chicago) and the seller is asking $6,500 (listed $7,995). I test drove it and I can say the engine oil leaks, the engine stutters for a bit however it gets a little smoother as you drive it, and there are small dents on the chrome bits and the trim stuff. Black smoke comes out from the exhaust right when you start it up for like 3 seconds (i suppose that's normal?), however after warming up and driving it puts out whitish/blue smoke (can't be good right?). That being said, it seems to drive okay and the rust doesn't seem too bad; it's mostly surface rust from what I can tell, and the shock towers and floors aren't rusty at all. The interior has a few cracks in the leather seats but only on the head-cushions and dash. Oh yeah, the carburator cap falls off when you start it, but I dont think thats a big problem (is it just missing clips?). Anyways, I just wanted to have a few outside opinions on the value of this car. Here's the link: http://windy-city-motorsports.ebizautos.com/detail-1972-bmw-2002-coupe-used-6735905.html

Worth $6,500 or pass?

Thanks, Daren.

Mmmm....well 66k miles and blowing blue smoke? That's probably 466k miles hehe.

I would seriously think about it if you are really going for a perfect look 2002 you will have ton invest a bit on it, new grille (painted black) 2002 rims, bits and pieces...

And the most important...Engine rebuild!

If it was a bit cheaper I'd say jump on it.

You can check prices for original bmw equipment on our website and get a rough idea of how much it could take to replace the things you saw wrong in the car www.bimmer.com

The black smoke on startup is actually common that's from the fuel mixture being rich.

Konrad.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

They use the word original a few times.

The car started off as an automatic, and, at some time, has been changed to manual.

The gauge cluster is from a '74-'76 car, so I would be very suspicious of the 66k original mile statement.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

No!

there's a lot wrong with that car for that price. I'd bet that's 166K miles not 66K. Late grill in an early car suggests significant front end damage at some point.

Your description of the engine sounds like it needs at least the head rebuit, and there is no doubt Lots more rust than meets the eye - and what meets the eye is not inconsequential.

Take your time and find a good one - unlikley in Chicago just because of the rust factor - unless it's been garaged all its life and only driven 6 months a year.

If you have to compromise between a good engine and a good body, go for the good body. Engines can be rebuilt for around $3K, You can easily spend $10-20K on body work and paint

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

Guest Anonymous

Wow haha thanks guys I'm so glad forums like this exist. I guess I'll keep looking but it's a shame there are so few 2002's in the Chicago area -sigh-.

For $6500, it wouldn't be the first one I jumped on, nor the 5th.

For $2000, it may be worth looking at, but no more. Even considering inter-state transport, you could easily find a nicer car for $5k out-of-state.

With the economy in the stink, it's probably worth your time to be patient and keep looking.

I can't pinpoint it, but I think there's more issues with this car than meet the eye. It may be unfair, but it looks like it's been polished and such to make for a quick sale.

Buy this car and plan to have a War Chest of at least $5k to clean it up (there's more rust than there appears to be), and to sort the mechanicals.

For that kind of money, you could have yourself something truly special and Nightmare-free.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Did you see this one? It has been modded and might be very rusty, But at least the price is in the ball park.

http://www.chicagoautomart.com/vehicle/3152977/1970-bmw-2002-chicago-illinois-60638

I have heard many good things about Ben Thongsai B & D Automotive 1500 Madison St. Maywood, IL 60153.

good luck

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

Did you see this one? It has been modded and might be very rusty, But at least the price is in the ball park.

http://www.chicagoautomart.com/vehicle/3152977/1970-bmw-2002-chicago-illinois-60638

I have heard many good things about Ben Thongsai B & D Automotive 1500 Madison St. Maywood, IL 60153.

good luck

I would personally stay away from that lots of rust and..rollcage.

Probably was an autocross car or something a rollcage is never a sign of good care.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

good luck

There's another post on here about the car in the link above, lots of problems with that one.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Guest Anonymous

Pass.

Just for the sake of comparison, I bought my '76 '02 last year from I guy in Arizona (Ebay) for $6,100. Zero rust on the body, no dents or scratches, and a strong motor that doesn't leak or smoke. No real issues since. That's what 6k+ should buy you.

(It cost $700 to ship it to Chicago.)

The moral of the story is that would probably do better going out of state, particularly the southwest or CA.

Good luck!

Hugh

runn FAST! unless you pay $1,500.oo

-your in for A LOT OF RUST REPAIRS!

- the smoking conditions you see mean

your facing a cylinder head replacement/recondition now

-seat are not leather, and over stuffed

-seller can't afford (2) $0.19 "corn kernal" caps for the door

closing latch - noticed how difficult and noisy

the doors sounded when you closed them ?

- just the rust and engine repairs alone will exceed

their asking price

-lord only knows what else could be added if we drive

it for you

p.s. - wrong grills, mucho rusting-out lurking behind

the front windshield seal - this interior does have a water

leaking problem if it goes outdoors - lift up the back seat

and inspect the rear floor for patching/heavy spray on coatings,

same under the drivers feet/pedal area

the VIN 2532475 is a USA 2002 Automatic produced between 2532126 - 2534861 Jan 1972 to Aug 1973

contact the seller and inform them of this link

so in the future - they might have a better chance of unloading-IT .

happy hunting

used-1972-bmw-2002-coupe-4013-6735905-72-640.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"