• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repair Shop in LA

Guest Anonymous

I've held back on dissing Pro Bimmer in Van Nuys but since this is the topic I'll tell you why I stopped taking my car to him. Luckily my neighbor has been working on my car for the past couple of years and I've saved BIG $ since I stopped going to Jack's shop. I'm a woman and I've had some bad experiences with mechanics taking me to the cleaners on my cars. Jack was one of them.

I had a slow leak on my tire and Jack had the tire looked at by one of the neighboring tire shops in his lot. While the tire was off he eyeballed the brake pads and told me the pads were worn down pretty low and that they had less than 20 percent left on them. He made it sound like I needed to get them replaced in a hurry. I had my neighbor check them and when he removed the brake pads they had more than 60% left on the pads. I haven't been back to Jack since.

Guest Anonymous
I've held back on dissing Pro Bimmer in Van Nuys but since this is the topic I'll tell you why I stopped taking my car to him. Luckily my neighbor has been working on my car for the past couple of years and I've saved BIG $ since I stopped going to Jack's shop. I'm a woman and I've had some bad experiences with mechanics taking me to the cleaners on my cars. Jack was one of them.

I had a slow leak on my tire and Jack had the tire looked at by one of the neighboring tire shops in his lot. While the tire was off he eyeballed the brake pads and told me the pads were worn down pretty low and that they had less than 20 percent left on them. He made it sound like I needed to get them replaced in a hurry. I had my neighbor check them and when he removed the brake pads they had more than 60% left on the pads. I haven't been back to Jack since.

Comparing prices between a neighbor and a shop is not fair. Using that comparison as a basis to judge a shop will result in not taking your car to any shop.

Brake pad percentages? I would think that a shop that works on 2002s all day knows more about brake pad percentages than a neighbor who may not know how thick a new 2002 pad is. 2002s have 4 piston calipers unlike most other cars. You will find than inner and outer pads don't wear evenly.

Jack is rough and he can be a jerk. That's true. He is also opinionated and will massacre your pride and joy and make it appear to be a pile of crap ready for the junk yard. For the uninitiated, it's a turn off. It's his style. But that does not mean he will rip you off, sell you work you don't need or do crappy work. Jack knows his 2002s, especially tiis. One thing is for sure. He does not take you to the cleaners. More often than not, he will recommend not to do some work if there is life left on a part. He will scrouge to find you a used part to save you money to his own detriment.

Jack is rough and he can be a jerk. That's true. He is also opinionated and will massacre your pride and joy and make it appear to be a pile of crap ready for the junk yard. For the uninitiated, it's a turn off. It's his style. But that does not mean he will rip you off, sell you work you don't need or do crappy work. Jack knows his 2002s, especially tiis. One thing is for sure. He does not take you to the cleaners. More often than not, he will recommend not to do some work if there is life left on a part. He will scrouge to find you a used part to save you money to his own detriment.

I've dealt with all sorts of mechanics throughout the country. Some have zero personality and tell you like it is, without sugar coating. Others sugar coat. others try to sell you windshield wipers when you go in for an oil service.

Some show you your parts after they have been replaced so you know you aren't getting hosed.

Maybe it is an LA thing, maybe it is just the way Jack is, but seriously, who needs that kind of treatment? I wonder how he gets any business in the first place. Usually mechanics like that have a person working the office to act as a 'buffer' between the jerk and the customer.

After he tried to 'scare me' with quoting me an insane price to go through my suspension, i thought about posting on the FAQ my experience. Between that and him underestimating my knowledge of 2002s, i was PISSED. But i decided to not say anything. But since the topic came up, i figured i might as well warn the next person...

And FWIW, he didn't offer any sort of 'deals' for using used parts or anything like that. It was high-ball all the way.

Unfortunately, LA is riddled with cars yet people who know 2002s are in short supply. Add a few jerks or shady people to the mix, and the options become less.

The Bay area was great. These cars and people who know them are everywhere. And they are pleasant to deal with.

Thanks to those who posted Ronin and Summit. I'll try one of those guys when my car's issues are beyond my capabilities or time.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Thanks to those who posted Ronin and Summit. I'll try one of those guys when my car's issues are beyond my capabilities or time.

I'm sure they'll be excited to see you...

Seriously - if the folks from big town LA get you 'pissed,' why not go back to the Bay area? Or, maybe try New York or Jersey! (chuckle)

Jack is great!!!!... Knows his stuff... Knows the 2002... Tii...

Jack is fair... he is sharp.... and HONEST!!!!...and when he tells you something

about your 2002 we should listen.... he is also very kind...

and willing to talk to you about 2002s till the sun sets.... for free!!!!..

some are just too sensitive...

Jack is great!!!!... Knows his stuff... Knows the 2002... Tii...

Jack is fair... he is sharp.... and HONEST!!!!...and when he tells you something

about your 2002 we should listen.... he is also very kind...

and willing to talk to you about 2002s till the sun sets.... for free!!!!..

some are just too sensitive...

Seriously - if the folks from big town LA get you 'pissed,' why not go back to the Bay area? Or, maybe try New York or Jersey! (chuckle)

Folks plural? i was only referring to one folk.

Opinions are like Butt-holes. We all got 'em.

Especially when it comes to the cars we love. Some like 'em stock, some like 'em for racing. some like Jack, some don't.

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Would you choose someone like House to be your doctor?

Jack is the version of Gregory House for 2002s. Bed side manners? Nope. A clean waiting room or restroom? Go elsewhere. But if you want expertise, knowledge and a car that will get fixed right? Do you want to be informed about what is being done and why and take the occasional insult in the process? You decide.

I have seen Jack work his magic on 2002s especially tiis, including my own. My car, which has been to several shops over the years was getting lousy mileage. "It's your 292 cam." I was told. "If you want better mileage, you will lose power," or "It's to factory specs," or "you need a new K-fisch pump."

Jack tinkered with it for hours. "You can't adjust them to factory specs. The fuel is not the same as it was in 1974." I got the car back running stronger throughout the range and my mileage went from 16 to 26. There were no parts replaced.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Would you choose someone like House to be your doctor?

Jack is the version of Gregory House for 2002s. Bed side manners? Nope. A clean waiting room or restroom? Go elsewhere. But if you want expertise, knowledge and a car that will get fixed right? Do you want to be informed about what is being done and why and take the occasional insult in the process? You decide.

Oh shoot if we're going with the TV anologies then I'll play along!....

Anyone here watch Superman? Would you want someone like SUPERMAN to watch over your 2002 like it was his planet earth? Tom at Ronin is Superman with 2002's. Would you rather have superman (the protector of all that is 2002's) or some perpetually grumpy doctor work on your 02.....you decide

Anyone here watch Superman? Would you want someone like SUPERMAN to watch over your 2002 like it was his planet earth? Tom at Ronin is Superman with 2002's. Would you rather have superman (the protector of all that is 2002's) or some perpetually grumpy doctor work on your 02.....you decide

We need a facebook style 'Like' button for great posts like these.

good one!

i've had good results with jeff at racetep. just trying to find something closer. i'm in miracle mile. has anyone else used summit? seems like there's only one person who's familiar with them. pink's quotes really insane prices for basic jobs.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4