• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

URO vs. OE BMW windshield seal comparison

cj

I went cheap once and bought URo door seals. I had to cut them with a razor to fit, them got pissed yanked them off and installed OE ones. Perfect fit BUT the rubber the new ones are made of is much much firmer than the original ones so I still have an issue with them wanting to push the tops on my wing glass outward and also not allowing the glass to fully seal which causes wind noise. It may be OE seals but they have changed the rubber compound and they still are not like the old ones

I too had this issue with the OE door seals and the wing windows. I adjusted the wing window with more angle. Basically I increased the tilt. This allowed the wing window assembly to "tuck" into the seal making for a great fit. This also made the side glass fit nicely against the upper portion of the seal. There's a little spring as you open the door, but when you close it, the door has a nice catch.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I went cheap once and bought URo door seals. I had to cut them with a razor to fit, them got pissed yanked them off and installed OE ones. Perfect fit BUT the rubber the new ones are made of is much much firmer than the original ones so I still have an issue with them wanting to push the tops on my wing glass outward and also not allowing the glass to fully seal which causes wind noise. It may be OE seals but they have changed the rubber compound and they still are not like the old ones

Sorry to digress from the Windshield thread.

I recently installed Uro door seals. After much research and days of futzing.

If your doors are properly aligned...

The vent window frame is adjustable, up, down, forward and rearward. The interior edge of the the vent frame is recessed to close against the lower part of the seal without pushing it up. At the top of the frame where the window meets the the frame is a small piece of wedged rubber that eases the transition between frame glass and rubber, tilt the vent frame so this area makes firm contact with the rubber. The glass should fit enough to compress the rubber. I loosened all the 10mm vent window frame bolts, including vent window regulator. Close the door and adjust the frame to fit the rubber, snug the top adjustment bolts, then set the inward pitch, test with window up, down and rolling window up. If it's good tighten everything test adjust, test etc...until you can live with it.

Window height and rotation adjustment may be necessary as well to make a good seal. I have a previous post Window Height Adjustment which details how to do it.

May also need to adjust door strike on the B pillar. The weakest part of the whole thing is the upper B pillar glass corner.

It takes a while for the rubber to ease and compress.

After adjustment of vent frame, you can test the window to rubber compression with a piece of paper or a spray bottle.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Note the way the seal is "standing proud" from the windshield and the lockstrip damage from the wiper arm. This is what you DON'T want to see.

driversidewiperarm.jpg

This is more like how a proper windshield seal should look

14728402.jpg

It took me two times to get this right. Thank goodness for the experienced hands of Matthew Cervi, Bill Williams and Bill Riblett (not shown this pic)

81a5673b.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed my windshield on Sun with a new OE seal I got from Blunt. I had the glass installed in about 20-25 minutes. It couldn't have gone better. The lockstrip took longer but went in just fine with no issues. What a difference a REAL OE seal makes.

The URO junk goes in the trash! ...or maybe I should bring it to V&V and we all take turns driving over it!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

Dear Modifier,

We have banned the uro windshield seals here.

Can you please tell me your name so that I can trace your order to see how this could have happened.

Thanks,

Max

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

It's not just on BMW's.

I replaced the targa bar seal on my Porsche with a URO seal. It was cheaper - 180 instead of 240 for the Porsche OE seal. Well - just got my targa top re-built, and now I can't install the new one. My gut feel is that it's because of the stupid URO seal. It's coming off and going in the trash, and I'm going to gut up and get the OE seal.

I hate URO.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

We won't allow URO stuff in the shop....

BTW a customer of ours recently got a new trunk seal from the dealer only to find it is one piece and lays low/flat just like the Uro one. What gives!?!

The lip of the Uro trunk seals lay low and flat so that the trunk lid doesn't even touch them.... Now the ones from the dealer looks the same!!!

Anyone know the story on this? Blunt?? Max?

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

BTW a customer of ours recently got a new trunk seal from the dealer only to find it is one piece and lays low/flat just like the Uro one. What gives!?!

Not uncommon for a BMW parts dept. to go "outside" BMW to increase their percentage of profit. Which dealer did this customer go to to buy this seal? Perhaps Blunt or Max can take an image of a OE seal to see if BMW did make a change.

Proud member #113

The rides!

Not uncommon for a BMW parts dept. to go "outside" BMW to increase their percentage of profit. Which dealer did this customer go to to buy this seal? Perhaps Blunt or Max can take an image of a OE seal to see if BMW did make a change.

Sonnen.... u know who too... He won't pay shipping. :b....

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I wonder who the parts manager is there now?

My feeling is it is a URO seal. I just bought one a few months ago as I was going to install it on my old Granada car. It was identical to the part that I installed on my Fjord car in '06.

Nice and pliable too.

Proud member #113

The rides!