• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas mileage....gulp!

pikeperkins

So I went to the Orlando meet and greet last night and the car ran like a top. I told everyone there that the best $$ I spent was redoing the tank with the POR kit. Anyhow, the round trip was ~110 miles. I used ~9 gallons of gas for a whopping ~12.2 MPG! Here's to hoping the 5-speed will offset the sync-link on the highway and further tuning will improve the MPG.

Assuming you have a 32/36 weber and just added a sync link - what was you mileage before? My 38/38 gets about twice the mileage you have with a 3.90 rear end.

Now that the jets are synchronous opening, could you lean out the mix? Was that at constant cruising or passing everything in sight with the new found performance?

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

12 is definitely low but be wary of the high mileage (25-30mpg) claims on here. It all depends on the condition of your vehicle. You car may never get to that. Varies greatly from car to car. A brand new '02 in 1974 would get around 22.6 mpg.

I've spoken with many shops that specialize on '02's and was told the 17mpg i get with my car, a 36 year old car, is about right. I have a 32/36 weber in my '74.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

A somewhat decent 2 liter with a 4 speed should easily get 22mpg on longer trips.

I averaged about 25mpg with the original engine in my 1602 on petrol (4-speed, 4.11, original solex)

I did get 32mpg once or twice with slow (50-60mph) highway driving on longer trips.

And that wasn't a healthy engine to put it mildly.

Since then I haven't really driven on petrol anymore and LPG increases fuel consumption by some 15-20% compared to petrol.

Still get about 18mpg on average (short trips, fast driving) or 22 on longer trips (75-80mph highway driving) with my turbo engine.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

I got a reliable 21mpg with the single barrel Solex. I did Megasquirt and now get 27-28mpg for the same driving. I just installed a 5 speed so I'll see if that helps further.

I would say that 12 means there is a problem and I would definitely check timing and mixture as best you can.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

I got a reliable 21mpg with the single barrel Solex. I did Megasquirt and now get 27-28mpg for the same driving. I just installed a 5 speed so I'll see if that helps further.

I would say that 12 means there is a problem and I would definitely check timing and mixture as best you can.

Man gotta love EFi and megasquirt for fuel economy. i think you could get 12mpg if the timing was off some, the engine is a bit worn, the carb is a bit old. All of that can add up to poor mileage very quickly

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

So I went to the Orlando meet and greet last night and the car ran like a top. I told everyone there that the best $$ I spent was redoing the tank with the POR kit. Anyhow, the round trip was ~110 miles. I used ~9 gallons of gas for a whopping ~12.2 MPG! Here's to hoping the 5-speed will offset the sync-link on the highway and further tuning will improve the MPG.

Maybe you have a tapeworm in the tank.

But what do I know

I'm running dual 40's on a 2.3L stroker, and I get about the same mileage. I was recently informed by some sage driving veterans that the dead pedal is on the left, not the right. So my mileage might increase once I figure out how to take advantage of that knowledge.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”