• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tip Top just passed away, totaled on I-805, no injuries (nt)

shipm_8

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What Ray said...

And, it could just as easily have been a note yesterday from Pigpen sayin what sad loss this has been, especially since Jesse and the late William were expecting their first child...

Instead, hopefully only a sore neck, a few smiles, and maybe some of the good tears. It's wonderful that you guys are going to enjoy Thanksgiving whole, and together. Time to start working on names for your baby girl...(I don't know, I just have a feeling it will be.)

Let me know if I can help with Tip Top Too...Glad you are still with us, and congratulations on baby makes three.

Dave V. in NC

What Ray said...

And, it could just as easily have been a note yesterday from Pigpen sayin what sad loss this has been, especially since Jesse and the late William were expecting their first child...

Instead, hopefully only a sore neck, a few smiles, and maybe some of the good tears. It's wonderful that you guys are going to enjoy Thanksgiving whole, and together. Time to start working on names for your baby girl...(I don't know, I just have a feeling it will be.)

Let me know if I can help with Tip Top Too...Glad you are still with us, and congratulations on baby makes three.

Dave V. in NC

Thank you, Dave! You are very kind.

As we pilots say, a good landing is one that you can walk away from....a great landing is one that you can walk away from and reuse the airplane. We had may great landings in Tip Top, and her spirit is very much alive.

We are very, very enthusiastic about the future, including the addition to the crew, who is now on the assembly line and due next July 4th....boy or girl, driving lessons will be in an 02!

William and Jessie

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

William. Just saw this sad news.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Scott

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

1st- Glad you are OK.

2nd- Happy to hear the other news.

3rd- Sorry to hear about your car.

Now, take a second and look at the order of those items. Those are the priorities.

That out of the way, take a few days and then decide if your car is rebuildable. If not, I'd start shopping for a new shell. If you go away from 2002 ownership, you may find yourself like I was for several years: Craning my neck around everytime I saw an 02 on the road, looking through the autotraders, etc...

As for the cause of the accident, sometimes shit happens. Sometimes we have enough of a buffer and can skirt the danger. Other times we don't get much warning. In hindsight, my accident ~was~ avoidable. I was already looking far enough ahead to see the cars swerving to miss the debris in the road about 200 yards up. I was checking my mirrors to make sure it was OK to get over to the far left lane when the guy that was 5 or 6 car lengths ahead panicked and decided to stand on his brakes. 75mph down to 25. All I could do was shave off a bit of speed and brace for impact. I did keep presence of mind and got my car off to the shoulder without anybody else collecting us.

What could have been different? The driver in front could have just steered around the debris. The driver in front could have run over the debris- it was an empty soft plastic Rubbermaid container. I could have been more agressive and changed lanes the instant I saw anything up ahead.

Point being- it's done. Don't beat yourself up.

Now. What parts are you gonna need?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thank you, SteveJ.

When Jessie and I got our 72tii, we unwittingly opened ourselves to a friendly, welcoming, generous world very much compatible with the way we look at life. We are very much staying in the fold. It may take awhile for Tip Top to be back, in whatever form....for now I need a daily driver so I am considering options that may be more available and suitable.

We appreciate the collective support, and look forward to continue participating in the 02 world!

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

Hi William,

It's really sad to see that car in such a state. It was the cleanest tii I've ever seen myself, and I'm glad you brought it through Athens.

With that said, it's just a car. I know everyone says to rebuild it, but make sure you consider your priorities right now in terms of time and money. Many years ago, I thought Miatas were the ultimate cars and I should always have the best one in pristine condition. Now I don't really care about them, and mine is rusting away. Before Miatas, it was aquariums, and before then it was Lego cities.. and so on, and so on. If I were still spending all my time and money on Legos and Miatas, I wouldn't know the other great things I could try out.

Anyways, I'm trying to say that you can use this as an opportunity to focus on something different and possibly better. You can get back what you had, or you can modify the crap out of it into a race car, you can get a totally different car, or you can save some time and money and focus on the family for a while.

Good luck, and use it to your advantage somehow!

Kevin

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hi William,

It's really sad to see that car in such a state. It was the cleanest tii I've ever seen myself, and I'm glad you brought it through Athens.

With that said, it's just a car. I know everyone says to rebuild it, but make sure you consider your priorities right now in terms of time and money. Many years ago, I thought Miatas were the ultimate cars and I should always have the best one in pristine condition. Now I don't really care about them, and mine is rusting away. Before Miatas, it was aquariums, and before then it was Lego cities.. and so on, and so on. If I were still spending all my time and money on Legos and Miatas, I wouldn't know the other great things I could try out.

Anyways, I'm trying to say that you can use this as an opportunity to focus on something different and possibly better. You can get back what you had, or you can modify the crap out of it into a race car, you can get a totally different car, or you can save some time and money and focus on the family for a while.

Kevin

+1. well said Funk.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Hi William,

Kevin

Kevin! You had me and Jessie howling with laughter. And as we are finding out, mid first trimester...laughter is welcome! Thank you.

We agree. The car has enough damage that rebuilding it is likely out of the question. Opportunity cost aside, it would never fall within my safety parameters as a daily driver.

On the other hand, as you said, this is a great opportunity for us. For starters, I am going to practice patience, negotiation skills and diplomacy as we negotiate the paperwork to reach settlement. Then, I will learn things about the car that I did not know, as I save what I can out of it. And enroute who knows what opportunities will present themselves, or what detours we'll take.

Another 02 is probably in our future. The idea of being a steward to one is appealing and, even if 02 ownership is not a requirement to be an 02er, it does multiply the fun. For now, I do need wheels....I'm thinking it may be time to do a bit of exploration....what would be fitting for business but still have soul? My next thesis, and I'm open to suggestions.

Don't get rid of the Legos before calling us....maybe we can put them to work after our new crew member arrives!

William and Jessie

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

For now, I do need wheels....I'm thinking it may be time to do a bit of exploration....what would be fitting for business but still have soul? My next thesis, and I'm open to suggestions.

I don't know man, that's whatever interests you!

Alfa GTV6? Volvo P1800 Wagon? E28 M5? Mazdaspeed 6? Saab Sonnett? Or something even more interesting here: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_qfkw=1&_fspt=0&_flso=0&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&Make=Other%2520Makes&_flso=0&_fspt=1&_lsbx=0&_sop=7&_sadis=-1&_fpos=92101

Personally, I'm on the lookout for a nice N-Scale train set, a freshwater Discus tank setup, a Jag XJ12, a nice metal halide light setup for my saltwater tank, a vintage BMW touring bike, and I need to finish restoring a couple vintage fans I have sitting around.

edit: Changed link to San Diego area search

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Let me know if I can help with Tip Top Too...

Dave V. in NC

That's to many letters for a California license plate, but TipTop2 fits fine.

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Thanks for the possibilities...intrigued by the mercedes and the e28.

Personally, I'm on the lookout for a nice N-Scale train set,

Been lugging a bunch of bits related to my own N-scale train layout around through several moves, and is now obscured by a pile of bmw stuff. The only way I'll make progress is with some child labor, which is on the way, and I suppose will be acceptable for this type of construction work. So many interests, so little time.

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

Let me know if I can help with Tip Top Too...

Dave V. in NC

That's to many letters for a California license plate, but TipTop2 fits fine.

Just the kinds of details we like to obsess about around here! Jessie, who feels like Tip Top was her girlfriend, and I have been having discussions about the name for the next 02. It will be Tip Top, of course, and we are ok naming her the same because Tip Top is a state of mind. Besides, if the Navy can reuse ship names, we can reuse car names.

Thank you again Larry for all the help giving me a heads up with insurance matters. Had the chat with the insurance company this morning and, as predicted, appraiser called shortly after ready to show up. Will get together before T-Giving, so now I am gathering docs, updating scans, comps and checking the refs you sent; rendezvous can wait a couple of days.

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC