• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To turbo flare or not?

uxoman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to get some opinions on this.

I personally don't like the look and think it will hurt resale if that matters to you. If I were to do flares at all, I'd get the Alpina fender arches.

020901zoom2000alfaromeo.jpg

+1 for Ray's point of view. The Alpina flares are wide enough for larger wheel/tire packages yet subtle enough to look nearly stock.

Really wide tires are really not necessary for most driving applications and the resultant heavier steering detracts from the overall "2002 driving experience," IMO.

My '73tii was fitted with some 5" x 13" Miniltes and 185/70-13 rubber. With a 380mm Petri steering wheel, it was like having power steering. With a five speed and 3.91 LSD, it was able to keep up with the "wide wheel boys" in the twisties.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Keep this one aesthetically OEM and get an inexpensive second and/or third one to have some "sawzall" fun with and you will have the best of both worlds.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

You can add the chrome tape to them from Auto Zone for that "Special Edition" look. LOL. I have thought about this before and the Turbo Flares look like a kit for a mini van. I like the Alpina boxed flares the best. Looks like a factory option

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Phil,

I have the same dilemma for an M2, and decided on stock. For my intended use, which will be lots of track and some street driving, any change from a stock part had to create a benefit of weight, performance, reliability, safety, etc.

If you need more rubber and a wider track or just really like the look, go for it! Fast forward 3 years and imagine what you'll want then...

Mike

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Just wanted to get some opinions on this.

I personally don't like the look and think it will hurt resale if that matters to you. If I were to do flares at all, I'd get the Alpina fender arches.

Ray what size wheels and tires are you running, and what suspension mods tuck them so well?

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Don't do it! There are so many other cars to do this to. Don't use yours. Plus I think specifically the factory 2002 Turbo flares look funny on a non-Turbo. If you have to do it, there are a few other variations that look a little better.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

You may be able to eat your cake and have it too, so to speak...

Flaring the front is easy as the fenders are bolt-on...just get a pair of fenders that are not so great and cut 'em up for flares.

For the rear...there are patch panels available (right, Max?) for the rear wheel opening lips that extend up four or five inches from the lips themselves--saves having to replace the entire quarter panel wnen only the lips are rusted. If you can cut away your existing lips for flares, and then if you want to go back to stock, weld the patch panels in place after removing the flares.

It's your car, so do whatcha want. But with a little planning you can make the process reversible if you change your mind in the future.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Are there replacement panels still available to replace whatever you cut??? If not, you could easily save what you remove and offer them to any buyer of your car in the future. Any good body man could easily put that body back stock with the correct metal... Imagine what a restorer would do if those areas were rusted through???

That said, I've got a good cut-off wheel you can borrow!!!

There are panels now...what about after 10 years when you regret the decision. Now they cost 700Eur piece. I'm not a good body man but I wouldn't say replacing them is easy. I can say from experience that putting the flares on is easy and cheap, taking them off isn't. And still it will never be original again.

Tommy

t_p6220002_185.jpg

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Are there replacement panels still available to replace whatever you cut??? If not, you could easily save what you remove and offer them to any buyer of your car in the future. Any good body man could easily put that body back stock with the correct metal... Imagine what a restorer would do if those areas were rusted through???

That said, I've got a good cut-off wheel you can borrow!!!

There are panels now...what about after 10 years when you regret the decision. Now they cost 700Eur piece. I'm not a good body man but I wouldn't say replacing them is easy. I can say from experience that putting the flares on is easy and cheap, taking them off isn't. And still it will never be original again.

Tommy

t_p6220002_185.jpg

Well, If he saves the very small amount that would be removed, they would be pretty easy to replace. Not like replacing an entire panel as you did...

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)

Guest Anonymous
Stay stock!

your opinion has no value so shut the fuck up

Why all the hostility, son?

stop crying and take it like a man Bitch!

Stay stock!

your opinion has no value so shut the fuck up

Why all the hostility, son?

stop crying and take it like a man Bitch!

Just out of curiosity... Are there any moderators on this forum???

This is obviously one person cluttering our threads with nonsense...

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)

Ahh the debate that keeps coming back... to flare or not to flare...

Even though I have what some would call a "hard to find" 2002 (US#117, '72tii)... I still went with turbo flares because quite frankly, I dont give a rats ass what other people think about my car (unless they like it!), because its my car and I look at it more than anyone else does... so why shouldnt it look exactly how i want it to?

Here... these will sell you on getting flares I PROMISE.

CameraPics157.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg