• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terminal news on my 02

Dicks

Last Friday, while having the 02 out of a short 5-6 mile run I came to a stop close to home with a cloud of oil smoke enveloping the car. Running it about a quarter mile further to my master mechanic was needed.

As we took a look at it, we saw that a radiator hose had come adrift, and the coolant was gone. Long story short...blown head gasket and some shot rings to start. How did this happen you ask?

Well, I was so happy as I had just gotten the car back that week from the trim shop with it's new Recaro's and the new Esty carpet installed. I did notice that during the carpet install a wire under the dash must have pulled loose, as I had no power to any of the gauges. That was all due to be fixed last weekend as I installed my replacement door panels, and new, crack-free dash. I got the door panels installed and needed to run down the the shop to pay for maintenance repairs to my 323ci and the 2002 was handy and begging to be driven.

No gauges....no dash power....coolant lost...overheating...and no way to know about it until it was too late. Disaster!

Now I'm looking at a total rebuild. I dont have the tools, skills, or time to do it. About any solution I can find runs $4000 plus. Sorry, but it's not worth it for a driver today in my mind. Does anyone know of any running used engines close to Houston, TX? As I see it, that is about my only shot other than parting it out?

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

Guest Anonymous

I have a solid, recently removed, engine out of my '72 that will run you less than $1000, including shipping from NY. If you are interested, e-mail me.

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

Yeah, +1 for 'go shopping for another running motor'-

and don't be shy about 320 or 318 engines if they're known to be good.

Then you can take yours apart and see how bad it was.

The block is tough, as is the crank, but the head can crack,

and once you open the block, it's pistons time, usually.

Just because they're pretty consumable.

And yes, a quality rebuilt motor will start at about $4000- and go up from there.

But it can be cheaper if you take your time and do a lot of the footwork yourself.

Bummer- that's why I try to run a mechanical temp gauge in my cars.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It happens! I blew my head gasket going to school. No idea why. Wasnt over heating or anything. All a sudden clouds of white smoke and there went the headgasket. Bought an engine for 350 and had my friend help me put it in. Now it runs awesome.

Oh and my friends head gasket just broke this weekend and we were 200 miles away from home!

Dont feel so bad haha.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

A head gasket and rings isn't terminal, just a hard lesson learned.

Changing a head gasket isn't so bad, it was part of my first big engine project. I couldn't have done it without the advice and support of the FAQ members. Changing an engine might be easier.

Get some burgers, steaks or chicken, some sides AND Beer, invite some guys over to give you a hand. Your 02 will be back on the road in no time.

Good Luck!

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Ouch! Your post is breaking my heart...

Not sure what your best option is as I haven't been through that but it seems you have put so much care and pride into your car its worth you staying in it.

I liked the suggestion of getting an engine to put in and then having the time to rework or explore your own over time.

hope things start to feel better soon, -rd

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Sorry to hear it, been there before under different circumstances. Don't part it out.. All it needs is a new engine. If you can't, sell the car to someone who will save it by dropping in an engine. Hate to see people jump the "part it out" gun.

"Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. "

Last Friday, while having the 02 out of a short 5-6 mile run I came to a stop close to home with a cloud of oil smoke enveloping the car. Running it about a quarter mile further to my master mechanic was needed.

As we took a look at it, we saw that a radiator hose had come adrift, and the coolant was gone. Long story short...blown head gasket and some shot rings to start. How did this happen you ask?

Well, I was so happy as I had just gotten the car back that week from the trim shop with it's new Recaro's and the new Esty carpet installed. I did notice that during the carpet install a wire under the dash must have pulled loose, as I had no power to any of the gauges. That was all due to be fixed last weekend as I installed my replacement door panels, and new, crack-free dash. I got the door panels installed and needed to run down the the shop to pay for maintenance repairs to my 323ci and the 2002 was handy and begging to be driven.

No gauges....no dash power....coolant lost...overheating...and no way to know about it until it was too late. Disaster!

Now I'm looking at a total rebuild. I dont have the tools, skills, or time to do it. About any solution I can find runs $4000 plus. Sorry, but it's not worth it for a driver today in my mind. Does anyone know of any running used engines close to Houston, TX? As I see it, that is about my only shot other than parting it out?

I installed an M20 in my 69. It's been done for over six months. The car starts, runs, stops... except I have no gauges.

It was put on the back burner while I worked on another project. Despite the overwhelming itch to take the car out just to test it, I won't without gauges, most importantly a temp gauge. Every once in a while, I start it up. It fires right up and sounds soooooooooooo goooooooooood... but I won't risk blowing it up because it overheated.

Don't part the car out because of a motor. Replace, rebuild or sell the car, unless it has terminal cancer and serious body damage and a trashed interior.

My 74 2002 blew a motor not long ago. The body was marginal, the paint was weak, it has a few rust spots, the interior was worn but not torn, the dash has a few cracks. I had the engine that came out of my 69 that got the M20. I swapped it in the 74 and sold it. The new owner is as happy as can be.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I have a solid, recently removed, engine out of my '72 that will run you less than $1000, including shipping from NY. If you are interested, e-mail me.

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

Roger - please give me the scoop on your new engine!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It happens! I blew my head gasket going to school. No idea why. Wasnt over heating or anything. All a sudden clouds of white smoke and there went the headgasket. Bought an engine for 350 and had my friend help me put it in. Now it runs awesome.

Oh and my friends head gasket just broke this weekend and we were 200 miles away from home! Dont feel so bad haha.

karma? (send me an e-mail!)

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!