• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 1600ti question

BMW0299

Top notch tii's (especially '72's) and I mean top notch no excuses original (and or correctly restored) cars I have seen recently over $25k, so as a means I am going to say $20-30k. A $30k car probably is going to need verifiable low mileage and essentially be a time capsule (sort of like that "73 Porsche 911T out there that has like 3k original miles.....) or that has been done very well and has correct "period" enhancements/ appropriate performance bits like ALPINA fuel injection etc., Standard 02's are going to be less, that said I would guess that a properly restored original car could get somewhere near $15-20k. I believe that gorgeous 1600 that was on fleabay sold for over $20 just recently?????? was posted up here not too long ago. Now for your 1600ti, WHAT A GREAT CAR! at least from the two pics. If the car is as clean as it looks from those two pictures is original, has numbers matching motor (not cobbled together), I am going to say that it could be a $25-30k car. There are still a few people out there that will pay top dollar for these kinds of cars. BTW, if someone asked me what I would like to have for a weekend run around car - you just posted it up BMW 1600ti. Would like to see more of that car.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/

Actually a 1600ti has about the same hp as a carbureted 2002--about 100 +/-. The difference is that the ti has a 4.11 diff while the 02 has a 3.64. Thus the ti has better acceleration (the early cars are lighter too) but not as much top speed. Max Hoffman was gonna import the 1600ti for the 1968 model year, but no way nohow would it pass the new Federal emission requirements, so the 2002 was born to take its place in the US market.

They're very cool cars, though--if for nothing else than the sound of those twin Solexes suckin' air at full throttle!

If you're thinking of buying it and the price is decent, go for it!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A couple more pictures. According to my research it's rated at 105hp. I wonder what a decent price would be for a car like that? The owner says it's not a "show car", interior is from a later model. Engine is fine, he says. He says the undercarriage has been "repaired" at some point by the previous owner/collector. He's asking $9,800 (in Europe). -Raine

post-17851-13667632556963_thumb.jpg

post-17851-13667632557819_thumb.jpg

+1 on what Mark says, the value should be about the same as a comparable '72-3 2002tii. That $9800 price sounds about right. Better get LOADS of on lift undercarriage shots and let an expert like myself look them over before you pull the trigger. Cars from Europe can be like those from our east coast... RUSTY and poor rust repairs made. Another idea is to post on the UK forum if anyone can go see the car for you or knows of the car. http://www.02forum.co.uk/ Though I am not generally a fan of Red cars Granada is one of my favorite '02 colors....

I'll add that my ideal street '02 would be an Alpina prepped 1600Ti very much like the Dec. '67 Car and Driver article on Glen Dye's 2-liter Alpina 1600-2. :)

http://www.autos-1.com/bmw/1600-alpina-1967.htm

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,309624

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,282110

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

How much it's worth ? It's hard to say for that particular car or for the 1600ti in general. The pictured car does not have the correct seats since the 68 was not equipped with headrests. The later finned alloys don't do that car justice either. Back in 68, the factory equipped those cars with the plane Jane 5" X 13" steel wheels vs. the 4 1/2" X 13" stock wheels. If you go with aftermarket wheels or alloys, you should use something that is period correct like Borrani / Alpina wheels etc.

If you throw in a 2 liter or some more modern engine, 15" wheels etc. you will relegate the car to just another tuner hopped-up 02.

IN my opinion, a correctly restored 1600ti should or will in the very near be more valuable than a 2002tii. There were fewer 1600ti's produced, and the cars have the very clean early lines.

As far as performance, the 1600ti is about even with the stock 02 up to about 50mph. That's when the stock 02 falls behind because the 1600ti breathes a lot better with the 4 carb throats.

The 1600ti is much more fun to drive if you like revs. It's the highest reving stock 02 motor.

The engine, though, is much less flexible compared to the 2 liter, since it's short stroke produces much less torque at low rpm's. It feels like a race motor.

SLavs

Undercarriage repair + European Car = Red Flag. Unless it was a "McGinnesqe" (my new term for a Matt McGinn resto job), likely the number I suggested would be significantly discounted. Like I said, no excuses cars get that kind of money (and attention) nothing less.

I wanted to second Tom's opinion on the 1600 with the 2l alpina motor (truely a "hot rod" when you think about it), that would be a great car to have. Still remember a HS friend of mine that had a colorado orange 1600 with a hot cam of some sort and ti carbs, the outside was beat and the inside was beat, but it absolutely hauled A$$......scared the hell out of me driving in it - one of the things that got me hooked on 02's.

like the car, the vin and underbody hold the key, looks like it has the embossed nose beltline trim, the wheels maybe Alpina. I have a ti motor in my '68, so much fun over 4,000 rpm. to clarify: correct ratios, 1600 = 4:11, 1600ti = 3:90, 2002 = 3.64

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe