• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT - FLYING VW Bug?!?!

jrhone

Was at a light this evening and a really nice bug pulls up next to me...from what I can tell it looked like a late 60s beetle. Low, nice rims, excellent paint, smooth and quiet. Light turned green and he punched it....left rubber for about 30 feet (through the intersection) and was GONE! We were not racing (luckily for my sake...lol) but that bug sounded awesome and flew. There was a newer late model BMW that finally caught him I would say about 60-70 and they both turned....I would love to know what kind of power was in that bug....I am sure it as VERY light, so about 150 would scream. One thing that struck me was that it didnt sound like an air cooled VW engine. Not at idle or when he stepped on it...anyone ever hear of cool transplants in the bugs? and no it wasnt a 911 engine...lol...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

There is no aftermarket like the air-cooled VW aftermarket. VW guys have been drag racing Beetles since the 1950s. For such a cheaply built car, it was remarkably well engineered and really light.

While some venture into the water-cooled world for their Beetles, others have turbos, fuel injection, relatively cheap engine parts and decades of racing history behind them.

Don't feel bad aboout getting smoked, though; you'd catch him in the corners.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I have seen Subaru STi motors in some bugs. Crate motor is in the 265-300 HP range. If you crap $100 bills this is the conversion motor to have for a VW.

Power to weight ratio is insane. This stock motor will put you in the 10 second range.

http://bhf1932-duniakeretaku.blogspot.com/2009/08/vw-beetle-with-subaru-sti-engine.html

I know somebody doing this conversion right now. He paid 3500 for a wrecked STI w/ a blown turbo. Probably going to be an expensive build.

'76 2002 - Sahara

Cool stuff!!! I always liked the bugs, and maybe for a project car, I'd get one...just didnt want one as my daily....Cool to see so much modern development in that car. Will have to keep my eye out for a cool car to start a project!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com