• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving home from work today I hear and feel a huge grinding noise. I pull over right away and check under the hood and all is OK I check under the car and all is well (drive shaft ect.) I put the car in gear and the car moves but it makes a loud clunk. I don't know if it's the clutch or the transmission.

Thanks, Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

hard to see - but looking up from under the car,

wire brush/degrease the left motor mount arm on the

subframe and look for a break or worse

you might see it from above........

or you have catastropic failure of the trans mount

02frontsubframeparts1.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

OK I just checked your suggestions in all of the above posts....Thank You gentlemen. When I try to move the car the clutch engages but the car has a hard time moving and just clunks.

Thanks, Dudley

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Yes it really did sound like something came loose. And for once my beast of burden is down. So tomorrow AM I will be under it to find the problem.

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

J,

Jay,call me ,perhaps I can help a bit today.

Jonathan

202-251-0368

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Jay -

I could not open the file. Was there a distinct popping noise from the diff as you turned the driveshaft? Was the rear end off the ground while you did this?

I'm now with Toby on the rear spider gear issue, although my previous diff had really bad teeth and didn't make any noises. Sounds like Dudley needs to pop the rear cover off for an inspection. Hopefully he doesn't find this.

pics1102010001.jpg

pics1102010006.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry I don't have any mechanical expertise to help with your problem but I have a question for you. Since there aren't many von Eiff's in the world and we're probably all related, I receive from Google every day a report of any mention of my family name on the Internet. Yesterday I received a link to your posting about a "1971 BMW 2002 Von Eiff" Does the name linked to the car refer to the original owner? I sometimes wonder what has become of cars I've owned and later traded in. I purchased a black BMW 2002 in 1971 in Fairfax VA. I was living in Gaithersburg MD at the time. I can't recall exactly when I traded in that car but it was sometime in the late 1970's. I loved the car but by then had moved to South Salem NY where I had a long steep driveway which was too much for the BMW in icy winters. I traded it for a 4WD Subaru. Just curious. Please let me know if yours is the same car. Thanks, Ted von Eiff, ted@voneiff.com