• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed.....screwing Into Dash Parcel Shelf

jrkoupe

I want to use a nice button head screw to attach a gauge pod on top of the dash parcel shelf area...to the rt of the gauge cluster

Based on a pic Im attaching, I see there is a metal/tin shelf under the padded vinyl?

...should my screw be long enough to thread into this inner layer of metal?..or not necessarily?

it is simply a 3 gauge holder....not significant wt......

Its hard enough to think Ill screw into the dash, I just want to make sure I pick the correct fastener....I want a nice black button top, low profile. Ive seen it done but didnt know what screw was used.

thnx!post-34724-0-85627700-1388779167_thumb.j

here is the type of pod....it has 2 horizontal  feet/tabs (1 on each end)

post-34724-0-37437600-1388779867_thumb.j that hold 2 screws each

oh...just found this pic from the forum..circa 2007...I love this ol skool gauge set up...who was (re)building this car? I know Steve did a similiar dash in his "Koepchen" car. I have NEVER seen that steering ever offered fs ....love it.

post-34724-0-16088100-1388780025_thumb.j

Edited by jrkoupe

Personally I would use a self tapping metal screw to secure the cluster. However the head type of the screw may present a problem when looking for a cover/button for it. Most metal screws have a rounded phillips head. If you can find a flat headed metal screw with a roberstson head (not sure they are available in the US ...it is a square slot as opposed to a cross slot of a phillips head) then you will be able to find a coloured button to finish the job. The button simply snaps in to the square slot, these buttons are available at any woodworking /cabinet supply outlet. 

Failing that you could simply use a rounded head screw with a upholstry grommet and paint them to match the dash.

Anyway not sure if that helps or added to your problem.....Mike

post-34724-0-88728100-1388784205.jpegMike

good advice.....

but I may have been unclear. I dont want a cover for the screw head. i want to use a hex drive button head style....

and ive seen the  grommets, and like them!

this is the head style Id prefer( altho as a self tapping screw).....

but the ? remains, how long does it need to be?

Bolts should be short enough to not hit heater, heater controls lurking below.   Maybe use velcro or double sided foam tape instead? 

CarlkkinMadCity

'74 ex-malaga 8 yr. driving restoration

4-spd, recaros, front bbk, I.E. bars+.s.exhaust. heater refurb(thanks Kieth), total motor rebuild 175 mi ago

(thanks Steve P., Jeff I.)

I have a 3 gauge cluster, and it's not screwed down. It fits snugly int the space, and the gauge wires act as an anchor to keep the pod in place. It's never come close to moving.

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I second the velcro or double sided tape. I havent seen the cluster in person but thats the way I would go about doing it. 3M double sided tape on a nice clean surface can work amazingly.

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

Automotive Velcro.  I've seen enough dashboards at the junkyard with cracks growing from added holes to worry about doing it myself.  'Course if your dash already has canyons, this might not be a concern.  If you do use Velcro, make sure the areas to be stuck to are absolutely clean before proceeding

I hear you guys....all of you.

dbl sided tape makes more sense, and is prolly safer for the aged dash at this point.

But I must admit, I had a cool vdo 3 gauge pod on a 72 back in 76...and I velcroed it to the dash and it always kinda wobbled and shook. I felt is was a bit hacked....so, Im shying away from  that method now.

I appreciate all your input as always....

....but I still dont know how long a screw should be , and if it needs to grab the inner metal structure. Is hitting the heater( or anything else) really an issue as mentioned?.......its just too friggin cold out to look in the garage.

I was just  hoping some1 had experience w/ screwing into dash top.

Ill figger it out.....

Edited by jrkoupe

If your car has the seat belt warning pod atop the dash, removing it leaves a nice-sized hole for the wires, plus two screw holes for the mounting.  Your gauge pod must have four sides so you don't see the back side with wiring etc thru the windshield.  Ideal location for extra gauges as you can glance at 'em without taking your eyes off the road.  

My three gauge pod is mounted on a base that's screwed to the dash using the existing screw holes; you can easily make a base for your pod from a piece of masonite or thin plywood.  Then velcro the gauge pod to the base.  That way no screws show, and it's easily removeable to change bulbs, etc.  Mine's been velcroed in place since 1987, has gone through numerous autocrosses, twisty backroad drives and a driving school at Mid Ohio--hasn't come loose yet.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite