• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horrible tick.

Valves lashed to .006 cold (twice).

New timing chain tensioner and spring.

Fairly certain there's no exhaust leaks, although I haven't gotten under the car.

After I lashed the valves the first time, I drove the car around 70 miles with a slight tick...I assumed it was the chain tensioner beforehand, but on the way home, it developed the horrible tick that can be heard in the video link below. I replaced the tensioner, primed it, and started the car. Still the same horrible tick. Re-lashed the valves (a couple were a little tight). Still there.

Ideas?

http://twitvid.com/MOA2E

Thanks!

Probably not the problem but, check to see if the fan is not hitting the alternator bracket?

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

My first 2002 did that....cracked exhaust manifold...once it warmed up, the heat caused the metal to expand and it went away...does your do that at the same loudness even when warmed up? If not look at the exhaust....

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

....hold a long thin screw driver to the base of the fuel pump

to listen - if it's 2 mounting nuts are coming loose the pump might be

increasing it's length to the cam? - or the pump itself might be noisy?

use the same method of listening to the water pump, alternator, timing cover areas to pinpoint the loudest point

02timingchaincutaway.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Nasty. Assuming it's running OK on all 4 (tough to tell from recording) maybe you have a pad coming loose on a rocker. You really don't want it to be a loose valve seat. It sounds too metallic to be exhaust, but you never know. You didn't drop anything in the engine did you? I have heard a a nut bouncing on top of an intake valve do that. Get a stethoscope on it and pin it down before you break something playing with it..

Exhaust leak right at the head will make a horrific snap-

unlike any other car I've ever owned.

try the dizzy with CD's screwdriver-

they can come apart and rattle something ferocious.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

Check all your spark plug wires and plugs. It sounds like you have a plug wire off at the plug and its sparking loudly.

Just a hunch

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I was super busy and just got the chance to work on the car this morning. Took everyone's advice and here's where I'm at...

Exhaust manifold was definitely leaking, so I bought new studs/nuts and put the stock manifold back on. Sound is almost exactly the same...seems like it's slightly tamer, but the main problem was definitely not the exhaust.

I did pull all the plug wires and make sure they were snug. Didn't attempt to turn over the car with the valve cover off, but using the ghetto-stethoscope, it sounds like it's coming from the timing chain area. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

New video: http://www.twitvid.com/2RTWH

Just gave the fan a few hand rotations and it was contact-free. Stumped. Thinking about taking it to a professional (aka, failure).

The fan will flex forward to the radiator when the revs increase. It makes a horrible racket, much like what you have...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special