• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent Window regulator? Need it to seal better.

josh72ooh2

i found that most of my supposed windshield noise was actually coming from the passenger vent window.

If the window would close just a bit more, it would eliminate a ton of the noise leaving me to deal with the windshield.

I searched the FAQ but all i could fine was how to adjust the angle of the entire window. I just need the swivel part of the class to close a bit more than it should.

is it possible to adjust it so it will twist slightly further?

I have the door skin currently off planning to replace it with a plywood backing.

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

are there directions somewhere on how to replace it? I'm totally clueless.

I've peeled back a small bit of the Tyveck looking material glued to the sheet metal. it looks like it is tough to get in there.

I'm also not sure i need a complete replacement. maybe just an adjustment?

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

I have found that there doesn't seem to be enough torque you can exert on the knob to really compress the sealing gasket enough (when closing). All I do is press on the lower front section a little with my fingers and the vent seems to move just a little to get a really tight closure.--Jim

Naw, everything wears out and eventually it won't close all the way. Changing them goes a long way to fixing the problem. Looks harder than it is.

John

29.png

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I didn't have any directions, but it's pretty straight forward after you look at it for a bit. It's a slight pain to line up as it took about 15 minutes to wiggle it in place. Just pick up a replacement plastic sheet and some plastic rivets (or whatever they're called) to go along with it. I can help you out one of these days if you need it, lemme know.

Yes.

Will it quiet your whistle?

Maybe.

The small geared mechanism that the vent knob attaches to can be skewed to provide a tighter fit:

- Remove the vent winder's front mounting bolt.

- Loosen the rear bolt slightly.

- Insert a washer between the door's sheet metal and the body of the gear mechanism at the gear mechanism's front mounting screw hole. (a coating of grease on the washer will help to keep it in place during assembly)

- Replace the front bolt, tighten up and test drive.

It worked for me.

Bend it.

Crank open the vent window a bit, hold the knob -- then push on the lower front corner of the window enough to move it "jest a leddle bit" toward closing.

Yer done!

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I have to say... bending it scares the crapola out of me... but i will give it a gentle try.

I feel it will greatly quiet the whistle because when i reach across the car and push it in with my finger (or have a passenger do it), it goes away. if it only closed another few mm, i'd be fine.

Things got nuts at work and in life so i won't get to this until maybe next weekend.

Ryan, if it gets funky for me, i might take you up on your offer to help out... or maybe call you for some remote technical assistance.

-Josh

I would be REAL careful of this method because the last owner of my car did this and broke both wind window frames making the wind noise even worse. I my self would not do it.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I have to say... bending it scares the crapola out of me... but i will give it a gentle try.

I feel it will greatly quiet the whistle because when i reach across the car and push it in with my finger (or have a passenger do it), it goes away. if it only closed another few mm, i'd be fine.

Things got nuts at work and in life so i won't get to this until maybe next weekend.

Ryan, if it gets funky for me, i might take you up on your offer to help out... or maybe call you for some remote technical assistance.

-Josh

I wouldn't even recommend doing such a thing if I'd not been able to do it a couple times myself -- on my own cars. One of them was pushed open a full half inch!

The frame pivots on a shaft that's attached to a metal channel frame. Just because there's glass in it doesn't mean you can't bend the FRAME. Don't lean on the glass --- lean on the FRAME!

We're talkin' only a couple mm so I can't imagine you need to find very much.

Maybe you should have a couple beers first.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well i tried giving it a slight bend... all it did was increase the amount of free play and make the situation worse.

Looks like i need to take it apart and re tighten everything. Hopefully i will have some car tweaking time this weekend.

-josh

• 4 years later...

I was able to adjust mine by folding the door panel up and loosening the set bolt on the shaft the window opens/closes (there's a hole in the door that you can get to it by), then I turned the knob so the window would be 1/2 open and pushed the vent back closed (this part did not feel good FYI, and it doesn't need to be all the way closed, just close), then I tighten the set bolt back which was hard because it's 45 degrees into the door (had to use closed end wrench, flipping it over every 12th of a turn, etc).  Now I can tighten it closed with the knob, but it only opens half way..

-Chris