• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NON-I.E. sway bar install advice.

eurotrash

I think I'm screwed, but I finally got the S.T. ( http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,335282/highlight,addco+owners/ ) mounts and the back was a breeze. Looks great. The Addco end links were a tad longer than the stock pieces, but all is well.

IMG_8060.jpg

Then came the front. Pulled the old bar and quickly realized I would have to drop the sub frame a bit to get the bar in.

IMG_8063.jpg

I tried and tried with the bubble wrap still on it to get it to fit. Finally, I pulled the bubble wrap and struts to make more room after the bastage goofed up my valance lip... Got the bar in and then this is what I ended up with.. not good. I even took it out and flipped it over to see if it would go and it hit the crank pulley..

I can't see what the hell could be done to make this fit?!

IMG_8073.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

So I figure someone out there has this bar or the ST piece and has been through this.. What the L am I doing wrong?!

Here is a link to the bar itself..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-122/Application/?query=Model%7c2002

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

New daddy,

Not sure what to tell you on the fronts but on the rears, if you flip your bolts around, you may not bugger up the threads if you scrape on something, I am just saying.......

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Jason,

Congrats on the new youngin!

I have the same or at least similar bars on my tii. They are a bit of a tough fit. I also had to mount the front of the bar down so it sticks below the valence rather then up against the valence like the stock sways. When I put mine on I had to bend the tow hooks and carefully pry the valence out to slide them in.

post-548-13667619725821_thumb.jpg

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Jason,

Congrats on the new youngin!

I have the same or at least similar bars on my tii. They are a bit of a tough fit. I also had to mount the front of the bar down so it sticks below the valence rather then up against the valence like the stock sways. When I put mine on I had to bend the tow hooks and carefully pry the valence out to slide them in.

Thanks KC, thats what I was looking for.. I'll give it another go tomorrow. It seems like the front may not clear the valance, but I will get it fully installed and then try to drop the body back on and see if it works..

I kinda got busy over the last week, but there's a box in my trunk with your name on it.. (literally). -so you know.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I did the ST sways on my '76 in October. As I recall, it was a little trying, but not too bad.

I had the car on jackstands so the control arms (minus tires/wheels) were at full 'droop'. IIRC, I couldn't clear the valence on one side only, so I threaded the bar, ends down, through the unobstructed P-side and slid the bar through to the D-side while rotating the ends to their normal horizontal position. This was complicated by the tranny cooler lines on my car.

Then I was able to pull the bar down and scrape it past the inside of the valence where it had been tight. It just snapped in place. I did need to use a channel-lock to pass the U-bracket over the bushings to get the cap nuts started.

Just stick with it, you'll magically find that exact combination of angle/rotation/oomph to get it in place. Good Luck!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I went through this last month.

AND... i have a daughter named Hazel!

Except she is 8 now... and one of the reasons i sold my old 2002 seven years ago. Now she LOVES our new 2002.

Anyhow, back to the bars,

I had a REALLY hard time getting them in as well. Lots of cursing and grunting (my daughter wasn't around). Don't give up, i thought i was in the same boat and my 1 hour job took about 3 hours.

I ended up angling the front sway bar upward towards the dashboard and it was slightly off center towards the driver's side wheel.

The bar went in place after lots of playing around.

I then had to remove the one bolt on the bracket that holds the brake lines.

by doing so, i was able to angle the way bar down towards its proper mounting position.

Getting the center bushings and bracket wasn't much fun either... and that goes for the front and rears.

I think there was more to it but that is what most of my memory can handle right now. i call it Dads-heimers. a parental/child induced version of alzheimer's.

-Josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido