• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A message to all regarding bad advice...

kcdonahue

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posting without enhancing images with BMW related material will be scorned.

conkitchen, I cannot match your mastery with the Roundel; or my personal favorite - your Ron Jeremy shift knob post (masterful). But I will test the continued validity of the following theorem: that posting pictures of Jonny's ass is the surefire way to merci-kill any thread.

post-1769-13667618338669_thumb.jpg

I for one and all for being corrected.

As for me- I'd be very happy if more people would refer to a maintenance manual before posting. I (now 40) started working on cars way before I ever owned a computer and as such see the internet as a great way to share actual and current experience. the FAQ is a great resource and I have read it most everyday since its inception. it is not replacement for a standard mechanical reference but a great (and very entertaining) addition to them.

I'm one of those types- not an expert but a decent head on my shoulders and good number of years of experience with 02's. As such I can not answer as well as the more studied among us. I guess what I'm getting at is- yes- more thought before posting is a good thing- make the post but if your not so sure of your answer use it to further the question- raise the level of the discussion. But even more important to me would be have more informed questions. Picture and prior research via the search AND yes.... books/reference.

Is the factory manual officially available in any form? Unofficially?

One of my favorite things is seeing questions that I personally have not come across yet. I also love seeing the journey of people and the direction they take their cars over a period of years. And on a personal level- i'm out in the middle of know where in terms of 02ness. I have not even seen another 02 in years- so the FAQ keeps me going. My vicarious "02 event".....

best,

pete

Guest Anonymous

conkitchen, I cannot match your mastery with the Roundel; or my personal favorite - your Ron Jeremy shift knob post (masterful).

Things are starting to become clearer. Good one Conkitchen! So does this mean its not a myth that the rocket pictured earlier was not the Saturn but the Jeremy? Or does that refer only to the nose cone or some other device used by mission control?

C'mon, you guys are pullin my leg! This has got to be a dealer add-on. I've never seen it on realoem. I'm not falling for this again!

t_j_knob_167.jpg

oh man...when i went to my first CES in 1998 iirc, there was the "Adult entertainment" expo in the basement of the LVCC center...Ron was there in his booth...i couldnt resisted to go shake his hand and talk with him...then i realised what i did...lol...(shaked his hand)...i have a picture somewhere...

while i was looking at JD pictures my GF was sneaking over my shoulder...now she thinks i am pervert and like to watch old fart with saging balls in the trunk of their bimmers...

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Guest Anonymous
while i was looking at JD pictures my GF was sneaking over my shoulder...now she thinks i am pervert and like to watch old fart with saging balls in the trunk of their bimmers...

The subject of the original post was about bad advice.

Are you saying its good or bad to have a RJ gear shift knob? And what about pictures of rear shock absorbers? I can't tell if you approve or disapprove of Jonny's methods. You know he's certified or certifiable. That ought to stand for something!?

Some experts think Jonny's behavior is possibly due to his yellow metal synchros being exposed to hypoid lube. I think it might be from reading the posts on this board.

The subject of the original post was about bad advice.

Are you saying its good or bad to have a RJ gear shift knob? And what about pictures of rear shock absorbers? I can't tell if you approve or disapprove of Jonny's methods. You know he's certified or certifiable. That ought to stand for something!?

Some experts think Jonny's behavior is possibly due to his yellow metal synchros being exposed to hypoid lube. I think it might be from reading the posts on this board.

well, i dont know, maybe if you have a performance advantage with the RJ shift knob, then i approve it...

I approve Johnny's method, i would have done the same...lol...

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Guest Anonymous
I think you're all wrong and I'm right. It's all right here. Most of it's wrong.

t

Now, is that more good or bad advice(s)?

PS: Toby, please tone down your provocative track attire!

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous
I totally agree with you KC, but we should also consider the flip side of your argument and think about the number of inane and incredibly poor questions posted on this site.

I have been thinking about this for several months, and it seems to me that the FAQ forum has gotten extremely ponderous lately—often by multiple posts (per day) by single individuals asking the most elemental questions (what is this part?, what is the bolt size?, etc. etc.)—almost all of these questions are explicitly answered in any 2002 repair manual (or by diligently using a forum “search”).

So in addition to the caveat about offering expert advice, I would also add the caution of thinking twice when posting a question. I am all for the free flow of information, but to not have any discretion for it’s use, this forum will cease to offer any source of enjoyment or information exchange for anyone.

+1