• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A message to all regarding bad advice...

kcdonahue

Please if you are not well versed in the advise you are giving, please keep you fingers off of the keyboard and let those that truly know help out.

I'm no expert, but I know a little about these cars and BMW's in general and have witnessed some incredibly poor advice being given on many occasions lately.

Until recently, I've felt that the forum has done a good job policing itself as those that posted incorrect or biased advise were quickly corrected by other members. Unfortunately I feel that we are loosing that critical aspect of this forum.

This forum is a true gem and I for one would like to see it stay that way.

Please think before you post...

Sincerely,

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In theory, I believe you're spot on, but there are many areas where even the so-called experts are all over the board with their advice. How does a forum as vital as this one actually police itself without discouraging the free flow of ideas?

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

A forum member thought I was off base on some electrical advice earlier this year and sent me an e-mail to challenge me. I appreciated that approach. I respect KC's knowledge so maybe an e-mail to the person you feel needs challenged may be appropriate.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

I guess the same can be said for blanket statements w/o no explanation:

You said:

Please if you are not well versed in the advise you are giving, please keep you fingers off of the keyboard and let those that truly know help out.

I'm no expert, but I know a little about these cars and BMW's in general and have witnessed some incredibly poor advice being given on many occasions lately.

Until recently, I've felt that the forum has done a good job policing itself as those that posted incorrect or biased advise were quickly corrected by other members. Unfortunately I feel that we are loosing that critical aspect of this forum.

This forum is a true gem and I for one would like to see it stay that way.

Please think before you post...

35 year old cars are subject to hit and miss

ira

Thanks for your comments Casey. I have received quite a bit of very good advice off of this board.

I'm glad to see that members...such as you...continue to strive to maintain the high standards that I've seen on FAQ over the past year that I have been a subscriber.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

A forum member thought I was off base on some electrical advice earlier this year and sent me an e-mail to challenge me. I appreciated that approach. I respect KC's knowledge so maybe an e-mail to the person you feel needs challenged may be appropriate.

this combined w/ corrections followed in each thread, seems to be how this forum goes. I actually enjoy reading it that way, learning the wrongs as well as the rights. Keeps me well rounded.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

gee, maybe i should put a disclaimer in my sig line...;-)

hey, if anyone sees me posting something that is messed up, please correct me!!!! on thread or on the side....doesn't matter. these forums are great for learning...or refining what you thought you learned.

marshall

don't believe anything i say...always seek second opinion to confirm!

2xM3

To All,

Thanks for reading my post!

I'm glad my simple reminder is getting out there...

Bill W. gets it.... He is spot on with his post. If you didn't read it go back up and do it.

The intent of this post was simply a reminder to think before you post. We do not want the FAQ ending up like others that would censor you for mentioning things like Schmutzfänger.

Cough... cough.. roadfly...

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

gee, maybe i should put a disclaimer in my sig line...;-)

hey, if anyone sees me posting something that is messed up, please correct me!!!! on thread or on the side....doesn't matter. these forums are great for learning...or refining what you thought you learned.

marshall

don't believe anything i say...always seek second opinion to confirm!

Marshall,

Honestly, your racing experience and common sense mechanical descriptions are excellent...

But I agree. Please do you homework and seek additional knowledge before taking a post as gospel... (man, I really hope people already know this.)

KC