• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best adhesive for the sunroof seals??

chad

Guest Anonymous

Just had an upholstery shop do mine with the 3m weatherstrip sealant and it worked out fine. They used a small brush to brush the sealant on the seal and metal surround then pressed it on and it's held on well.

that looks like boogers--and it works just fine. Clean off the metal befor applying glue to the metal surround and the seal, being sure to keep it off the part that shows and you'll be fine.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I addition to the 3M weatherstrip adhesive, I rubbed some clear silicone RTV (make sure it is room temperauture vulcanizing) sealant into the actual seal. It takes a little effort to work the sealant in, but these seals have lasted over 30 years. This was a old 2002 kluge from many years ago.--Jim

• 11 years later...
On 10/21/2009 at 12:53 PM, nbcbird said:

I addition to the 3M weatherstrip adhesive, I rubbed some clear silicone RTV (make sure it is room temperauture vulcanizing) sealant into the actual seal. It takes a little effort to work the sealant in, but these seals have lasted over 30 years. This was a old 2002 kluge from many years ago.--Jim

Did you use any additional sealant?

Thank you,

Scott

3M Yellow, remember blue painters tape to make for easy cleanup & to get the seals positioned correctly.

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

As the others, I used the 3M weatherstrip adhesive.  I used brake cleaner on the gasket to get the white powdery stuff (mold release agent) off, used the 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover to get all the old stuff off the car, then brake cleaner on the car, then a couple inches at a time...  Works great.  Could be your process.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.