• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V@V 2009 - The year of the Alternator?

So as far as I can tell we had at least 4 bad alternators this year.

Randy Anderson

Brad Day

Garry Graham

Humberto Marti

What other ailments were there? I heard about some excitement on the Asheville drive with a 5er wheel, some gas/oil issues with a few of the cars parked on the lake hillside as well. List what other issues came up below.

1973 2000 Touring "Lars"

1967 2000cs "Fritz"

1974 2002tii

1984 Euro 635csi

1999 M Coupe

1) Lots of "topping off the tank" on the caravan down

2) Heartburn from the vinegar cole slaw at Aunt Bee's BBQ

3) Late night parking lot exploits (aka Bench racing)

4) Borrowing rocks from the grounds for a wheel chock

The value of the AL-45X tii alternator just shot thru the roof. See Mike Pugh for details and home delivery options.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I can report on the 5er on the BlueRidge Parkway....

I thought my eyes were tired and I was just imagining what a wheel would look like if it started to remove itself while moving amoungst the twisties. Suddnely the smell of heated rubber gave me confirmation that I was not imagining this.

Quickly I began the traditional assault with the optic nerve detroyers to get the attention of the young man drive the 528i. We stopped in th emiddle of the road to quickly check things out. After a brief review of the situation we moved off the road about 20 yards ahead and found the drivers rear had tried to "run away". We tightened the lugs and made a quick check of the other lugs to make sure none of the other where going to try and leave the party.

Once our confidence level was back up, we took the chance to assalt the parkway in an effort to catch up. All was well but we did have some excitement for a few minutes......

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

On the way down, I had a fuel delivery problem after I stopped to help someone else on I-77 S. The culprit was a tii metal fuel filter too close to the engine. After a 25 minute cooldown period, I was back on the throttle. Changed to a plastic filter Sunday morning and had no problems on the way home.

Per my GPS: 8:05 Moving Time, :49 Stopped, Avg 63MPH moving.

--> 1968 2002 <--

There was also my E21 Baur's fuel delivery problem smack in the middle of Friday's drive. Luckily Barry and Chris from FL were behind me in their E30 323i Baur and stopped to offer assistance. A suspect fuel pump relay seemed to be the culprit. Barry also pointed out some suspect wiring that will be taken care of right away.

I felt bad that they had to cut their drive short, but am very grateful that they followed me all the way back to Mt. Airy to make sure that my wife and I arrived OK. I owe them big time.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I know that myself and a few other carbed cars had problems with vapor lock, in hot parking lots or when crossing the higher elevations. I had an electric fuel pump ready, which I used for O'Fest 2002 in Colorado.

I also had a RF wheel bearing start making noise when I first passed through Dayton. Now I'm home safe and sound, and it's still making noise. I'll replace it soon...

vince

I know that myself and a few other carbed cars had problems with vapor lock, in hot parking lots or when crossing the higher elevations. I had an electric fuel pump ready, which I used for O'Fest 2002 in Colorado.

I also had a RF wheel bearing start making noise when I first passed through Dayton. Now I'm home safe and sound, and it's still making noise. I'll replace it soon...

vince

Hey Vince, of all the cars to pass me at a swift rate of speed, (this was almost everyone) your car wizzed by without so much as a drop of smoke...quite a solid little engine you have there!

I hope to see meet up with you again at windycityvintage later this summer.

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

After they got it running, I picked up oil and a pan and we changed the engine oil and it ran fine so we all went off to dinner The little 1600 made it fine on the drive through the mountains and back country roads to Peaks of Otter and then as I understand it back to Tenn. Those M10 blocks are tough, just like the men (Joe) that drive them So Sam's engine is now cleaned out on the inside too

Here we all are at the D Day Memorial in Bedford VA An incredible place A fitting stop for this weekend Peaks of Otter in the background where we stayed the night

Photobucket

Photobucket

Great that you caught that on video, Jason. I missed that; I left too soon. Mine is an OIL hog. Engine work is 1st on the list this winter, I promise.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz