• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid America 02 Fest What a Blast

MikeinNC

What a fabulous day here in Ozarkland. The day started early with a 4 hour drive through the beautiful spring countryside around here. With over 30 cars in attendance we were sure to have a lot of 02 fun.

Bo giving us driving and route instructions on the mornings activities

Photobucket

Hey, who is that happy guy

Photobucket

Early in the drive we stopped for a photo op!

Photobucket

Bo is a busy guy, moving fast to keep us all in line and on track

Photobucket

That many 02s makes for a very pretty conga line though the countryside

Photobucket

After lunch there is the traditional show and shine and swap meet

Photobucket

Photobucket

A shot of the touring rear ends

Photobucket

In the evening Bo and Barb arranged for a cookout. Cooks included Bill Biddle, Ron Renkie, Randy and Marge Anderson. Great job folks

Of course, no MA 02 Fest would be complete without one of Bo's legendary 02 trivia quizes, this year won by Matt

The evenings activities included a discussion on rear disc brake installation by Chris Leonard and movies by Ron and Keith. Then for the main attraction, Bo distributed the over $4000 dollars worth of goodies donated by the many gracious vendors who support our habit. Check out the Mid America website for details on who so generously donated. No one comes away a loser on this!!!!

And so we turn in for the night, tired but happy from a great day of 02ing with friends that we only get to see once or twice a year. It is really hard to believe that here in the rather remote area of our country that we found true enthusiasm and a passion for these little cars and what they were made for DRIVING! And so as we begin our long trek homeward, we thank Bo and Barb, Keith and Chris and all the other fine folks that help make this a wonderful event. True Friends is such an apt name for this great bunch of 02ers. It is really hard to describe how much fun this event is. Every 02 fan should put this on their calender! Next year is their 10th aniversary of the event so why not plan to attend!

I will go next year; hated to miss it this year, as a matter of fact. If I throw the MW '02 GTG in the Fall next year, I will able to make it to Ark. Nice pix. BLUNT, you sure can drive long distances....

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

The trip to and from were also a lot of fun - I got to explore a few new roads to add to my stash. I don't know how anyone could have more fun in a car for that long a time

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

looks like a lot of fun! It's your turn to come visit us here in the Bay Area Mike. Perhaps on May 16th?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Wow...That's all I can say. The most hard core 2002 enthusiasts in the country came together to make this event great. About half of those who participated drove over 500 miles ( some WAAY further) to be there and thirteen states were represented. I used to refer to my fellow '02 enthusiasts as my "car friends"...Now I just call them my friends. Some I know to a greater or lesser degree but over time I've found we have lots more in common than just these great cars we're crazy about. The hobby transcends generations and just seems to attract neat folks.

Although my drive wasn't too long my traveling companions and I had quite an adventure just getting to Eureka Springs. Just south of Harrison, AR (after quite a few high speed downhill sweepers) my left front control arm snapped in two at 60mph on a straight stretch, bringing me to a screeching halt.

After a few minutes of pondering just how close to death my wife and I had come (and bitching a good bit) Danuel Smith and I dug out the tools, removed the control arm, and set out to have it repaired.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Notice the custom delrin inner control arm bushings. I was certainly not admiring them at this point.

While we removed the broken control arm, my wife located a muffler shop in Harrison and the owner told her he was pretty sure he could fix us up. 45 Minutes and $20 later ( he only asked me for $10) I had a Frankenstein control arm ready to be installed.

All in all this delayed our arrival time by two hours. We still made it to Eureka Springs by 6P.M., just in time for supper.

Morning came early and the drive down Arkansas" famous "Pig Trail" HWY 23 didn't disappoint. On the way down HWY 23 Bo directed us into Withrow Springs State Park for a group photo op...

Then it was back on the Pig Trail to Turner Bend near the Mulberry River for some leg stretching and visiting time before the return trip back to Eureka Springs. Turner Bend is hugely popular with floaters, motorcyclists, sports car, and 4x4 enthusiasts as all these activities go on in the area most of the year.

While at the park I finally got a chance to scrutinize Sam's touring...

Lots of '02ers shot lots of footage so I expect to see some great stuff! Brandy Pannell stands out the sunroof of Brandon P.'s fjord to catch some video

To have three Tourings in our caravan in Arkansas was just phenomenal...Les, we wish you hade made it this year!

Mike Pugh...

A. Scott Barnes...Love that taiga!!

And Sam Adams...

The sky looked pretty ominous on the way back up the Pig Trail but fair weather prevailed. It was a brisk, enjoyable run

Once back in Eureka Springs it was time to wash the cars, have a show and shine, sip some suds, and generally have a nice, relaxing time. Here our gracious host Bo Black enjoys visiting with Aubrey, who made a long drive from Virginia

Bill Hiddle of Tulsa, Oklahoma puts on a little shine

My notorious partner in crime, Danuel Smith had major catastrophies with two '02s while getting ready to make the trip. And after resigning himself to driving his E39 540i he still helped me fix MY '02 on the side of the road...My freakin' hero! Danuel (to the left looking at the photo) and his wife Heather along with Danuel's cousin Lucas and his wife Kristen. Lucas and Kristen are determined to build a 2002 after this event. Contagious aren't we?

Here, Keith Kreeger shows Mike Wooldridge of Hot Springs, AR how to use the Kugelfischer adjustment tools to correct his linkage geometry and baseline settings

Still my favorite 2002 (except for mine...LOL)

Randy Anderson of Bartlesville, Oklahoma has done a beautiful job with the restoration of his '74 tii. Randy is a meticulous individual and it shows in his car

The Eltringham's made the drive from Rowlett, TX in their beautiful 1602. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've waited a long time to see Steve "Blunt" Petersen's car. He's already got over 8,500 miles on it... Beautiful!!

Brook in his sleek colorado

WOW...it's getting late. More to come...

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

i should have just stayed down south and hung out for a few weeks till vintage. what a great time. and all of our cars, mine matts and claires ran perfectly. we ran 4k all the way home and i got 34MPG on 1 tank and 31MPG on the rest. is that even possible? i know my speedo reads high just a bit but thats impressive even with the correction factor

just need to swap some motor mounts, clean some bugs off and change fluids and im ready for vintage.

thanks to Bo and everyone involved for all the hard work. its much appreciated and made for a great event

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com