• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wipers wont stop

twinturbo

One cause is that the 'park' wiper on the worm gear

shorts out- so it's always trying

to park itself, and never thinks it's succeeded.

It's been so long since it happened to me that I don't

remember why- I want to say that it wears through something,

but that doesn't make 100% sense.

I do remember that after taking the motor apart, the problem was obvious.

not much help,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

maybe something inside the switch broken or worn (tabs, lobes, etc.) and is causing the contacts to always be in contact, i.e. it is always "on". you could take it apart and inspect or get a good used one and see if it works like it should.

There are a number of posts on here that walk thru the possibilities. One of the most common seems to be the under-hood relay (silver cylindrical near distributor) that activates the washer and wiper motors when the washer switch is triggered. Failure of this relay can result in the wiper run-on.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,308534/highlight,wiper+relay/

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Heres what happens. Everytime I start my 69 my wipers are on. It wont stop=( even the switch is off. The spped works but it wont shut off. Has anyone experienced same situation? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

what 69 wipers???

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I wonder where is the relay for a 69?

did you read the thread posted by im3crazy in Baltimore, MD?

reading that post, it should either be by the hood release lever next to the turn signal flasher, or next to the distributor. if it is in neither, then you don't have one. then you can move on to your switch or the parking mechanism in the wiper motor.

chances are very good that the problem is in the parking mechanism. To make sure it's not the wash/wipe mechanism, disconnect the wire from that relay (silver can clipped to the firewall near the dizzy) and see if the wipers stop.

If you can't find the repair info in the archives, drop me an e-mail...I did a column on this repair; not difficult unless the parts are completely lunched, as they're not available separately any more.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite