• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedford, VA/Peaks of Otter - must read

I am reading "The Bedford Boys" by Alex Kershaw. It is about the young men from Bedford, VA in Co. A of the 116th Regiment of the 29th Division. They were among the 1st wave of American troops to land at Normandy on 6-6-44. It is acknowledged as the inspiration for "Saving Private Ryan." Very good book AND Bedford & the Peaks of Otter is where the post-Vintage drive led by Mike Pugh will end up. I cannot wait to see this region, now that I am learning so much about it. The Bedford boys took heavy losses, which was devastating to their hometown. Many of them now rest in peace at the military cemetery near Omaha beach. With a 17-year-old son, I think how much it would hurt to lose him like that. Hats off to those in uniform now & long ago.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Peaks of Otter Lodge is a great place to relax and not think about the outside world. Great hikes abound including the (3) mountain peaks that surround the Lodge and it's small lake.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Operation Iraqi Freedom 13 May 2005 - 13 May 2006.

Birthday 13 May 1982.

The proudly worn blue cord worn on the right shoulder on dress uniforms, is only worn by US Army Infantryman. The two pins over those medals are what he is most proud of: CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) and Air Assault Wings. They call that being "double stacked".

The unit patch of the 29th Infantry is seen on Nate's shoulder in the combat picture. It resembles the Pepsi logo, the young Iraqi children called them "Pepsi men". When not in desert colors, the unit patch is blue and gray signifying the unification of the north and south.

post-66-13667604110489_thumb.jpg

post-66-13667604111302_thumb.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

i think Memorial day 2009 would be a fitting day to go see the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford. They will, of course, be hosting some special events that day. If you guys are up for it, we'll head out that way.

http://www.dday.org

Last year the Beaker Bros. and a bunch of us were discussing the Memorial and AM and I drove by it on the way home from 02berfest. I've yet to stop by, but I'd love to go if you guys are up for it!

brad.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Yeah, the book talks about their unit insignia being blue & gray relating to the American Civil War ("War for Southern Independence"?). When our GI's were stationed in the UK in the 1940's, they were called the blue & grays by the locals. Bill, tell your son I said: "29, let's go!" :)

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

On our way to our summer drive in the VA mountains with Scott and the Martis. It is really nice and has a very overwhelming diaroma of the beach landing, including water splashing from bullets While we were there, a very large group of veterans on motorcycles came in with flags waving Very touching.

PofO is just 15 min away so those wanting to stop in will be able to easily swing by on Memorial Day

02 drive following V at the V? And where we'll be overnighting?

The ole planner in me wants to do some preparation.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Mike

Hope the snow is melting up there. Yep, I sent out an email in Jan with details, you were included but I just forwarded it to you again Check your inbox. Jim and Tom are hanging with us also

Now this is not the same as Scott's official V@V Sunday drive. They are going to beautiful Asheville NC and includes a stop at the Biltmore House where he has arranged for a photo shoot in front of the mansion Check the website for details on that It should be a fun trip too as Brooke is leading that one

Some of us Tarheels have been there and done that a bunch though and Eileen wants to go to PofO so that is where we are going. Also to show Jeffrey and Adeline a good time as well

See you in May at Salt Fork State park

Peaks of Otter Lodge looks great, judging by their website. I will finish the book re. Bedford Boys this week. The whole region sounds very good to me. See you soon Mike P.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Biltmore so will probably do your drive, as it will put us closer to home come Monday morning.

Jim is planning a good driving route on Sat 10 May from Salt Fork up to Ohio's Amish country in Holmes County--we can gawk at the Amish buggys and they can gawk at a conga line of 2002s...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite