• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gauge cluster

boldtu

does anyone have pics of all the evolutions of gauge clusters. I have a 71' with the wood surround on the cluster. I also want to build a center console with guages, I would like to find oil temp/pressure, voltage, an outside temp, and a clock. Does VDO make all of these or would I need to mix and match? does anyone have any idea where I can get them cheap?

thanks

chet

post-15438-13667601795039_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Several years ago, BavAuto had several of the VDO gauges that you are looking for. Give them a call, 1-800-535-2002. If I remember correctly, they ran about $100 each. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Very early cars had all chrome background clusters, then about 1968 the cluster housings were changed to black with dull silver instrument bezels. Squarelights all had "petrowood" surrounding the instruments.

Gauges: silver centers on all cars up to the beginning of the "modell 71" cars (beginning with VIN 2570001 +/-) From there they were black background but without the crosshairs. I believe that with the start of the squrelights in 1974, the crosshairs were added to the gauge faces.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I bet it's only a matter of time before someone like CD posts all of the iterations of gauges.

you don't have the right gauges for a 71 though...sorry.

early cars had what's called the "Silver dollar" gauges.

Mid year cars (71 - 73 I think) had plain black.

74 - 76 had the wood grain surround as well as the white cross hairs.

do a search on "gauges" and/or "gauge cluster". You'll see all three types.

And - I recommend Parker for accessory VDO gauges as well. Bavarian Autosport has all of them too, but I think Parker Performance's prices were better. Plus - Mark's wiring harness kick's ass for installation!

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Very early cars had all chrome background clusters, then about 1968 the cluster housings were changed to black with dull silver instrument bezels. Squarelights all had "petrowood" surrounding the instruments.

mike

Make that 4 cluster designs: in between the dull silver bezels and the fake wood, there were the black bezels with a very thin chrome line on the edge.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI