• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCOE soft mounts: Which are best for '02?

Forza

Is there any consensus for which soft mounts are best when mounting DCOEs? The standard soft mounts look like the pic below: a plastic ring with dual rubber o-ring gaskets with rubber grommets and metal washers. For those who have used these, what is the correct sequence of relative installation (e.g., carb--metal washer--rubber grommet--plastic ring with o-rings--intake manifold)?

How about the so-called Borg-Warner soft mounts, which look like these but are attached?

How about using asbestos-free gaskets from the Ti (in my case, I'm using a Ti manifold, so this may be an option)?

post-15313-13667601141207_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

John B. Ellis

1973 Inka 2002 (b. February 7th, 1973)

Weber 40 DCOE

I have run them and don't recomend them. They are a air leak waiting to happen. I use gaskets and insulators from a Tii heres the part #'s 13 11 0 639 028(4 of them) and the gaskets 13 11 9 067 015(need 8). Forget the rubber mounts, just remeber to buy the plastic floats from Weber so you won't have to worry about cracking a brass float.

I have run them and don't recomend them. They are a air leak waiting to happen. I use gaskets and insulators from a Tii heres the part #'s 13 11 0 639 028(4 of them) and the gaskets 13 11 9 067 015(need 8). Forget the rubber mounts, just remeber to buy the plastic floats from Weber so you won't have to worry about cracking a brass float.

Yes, that's what I'm inclined to use, given the OEM nature of my conversion project. And my 40 DCOEs are new ones that came with plastic floats--thanks for the tip.

Cheers!

John B. Ellis

Weber 40 DCOE

I have not found soft mounts that would work. They will get loose, start leaking, break the spring washers, rupture rubber "springs", mess up sync...

The plastic ones with o-rings can be used as gasket when tightened well without any springs.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Where do you order the parts from? Online somewhere? Does Blunt carry them? I am sick of the "so-called" anti-vibration mounts. They have caused me all sorts of headaches.

1969 BMW 2002/2002 MB C32 AMG(FOR SALE)/1998 Mitsubishi Chariot/2001 Nissan March

they're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The idea is to prevent fuel airation but all they do is leak. I've never had the soild mounts go wrong. They look just like an intake manifold gasket just thicker. Got them from ireland or max.

Yes, any of the usual OEM part sources (BMW, BLUNT, or Max) should carry them. My local BMW dealer ordered them for me yesterday. They match virtually any price I can find elsewhere and don't charge me shipping.

That being said, 8 Ti gaskets at $9.57 a piece plus 4 Ti insulators at $8.40 a piece (Max's prices) equals $100.16! Indeed, the price of dual DCOEs (optimally mounted and installed) keeps rising!!!

Cheers!

John B. Ellis

Weber 40 DCOE

Does anybody have a picture of the tii ones that we are talking about?

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

As for pictures, I have ordered a complete set of the gaskets and insulators for my impending DCOE conversion. I'll post pictures of them--along with everything else I've gathered and learned along the way--when I have everything together. Hopefully those who contemplate such conversions in the future will find my treatment of the subject useful. In the meantime, I'll post pics of the gaskets and insulators as soon as they arrive...

... see below for insulator, which is sandwiched between 2 similary shaped, asbestos-free gaskets of the BMW variety.

post-15313-13667601595736_thumb.jpg

post-15313-13667601597459_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

John B. Ellis

Weber 40 DCOE

• 5 years later...

Well my 02's worth I have used soft mounts for 30 years here & in England & never had a problem on all daily driven 4 cylinder cars my 02 is also a track car, never been a problem in 4 years .I've never used solid mounds, I currently use the crappy  plastic ones like in the first picture with nyloc nuts , no special washers & not over tightened, no leaks at all.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Soft mounts are a pig to tighten properly with carbs on the car. The O-rings crack but you can't see them. I'm in the "tried them and turfed them" camp.Per IE, I'm using just one gasket. All is good. I'd use the ti spacers but that creates a clearance problem on my car.

Bumping this old thread as I'm collecting parts for a sidedraft install.

I tried to order the Ti insulators and gaskets but was told they are blocked from the USA. Has anyone found a similar/suitable replacement?

I got mine a few years ago from Maximilian - no issues ordering. Sometimes a part will be flagged not for sale in the USA if the part is for a car not originally offered to a certain market. This happened when I tried to order a front 2002ti emblem. I was told I needed to supply a copy of the car's registration paper to confirm I actually owned a ti. Pretty stupid but I bet there are reasons behind that logic.

Try ordering from Steve at Bluntech or Roger's tii or Walloth Nesch or Jaymic.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I got mine a few years ago from Maximilian - no issues ordering. Sometimes a part will be flagged not for sale in the USA if the part is for a car not originally offered to a certain market. This happened when I tried to order a front 2002ti emblem. I was told I needed to supply a copy of the car's registration paper to confirm I actually owned a ti. Pretty stupid but I bet there are reasons behind that logic.

Try ordering from Steve at Bluntech or Roger's tii or Walloth Nesch or Jaymic.

Thanks for that info. Steve is who I ordered from. I'll call around though.