• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have been scammed by someone on this site. Help me get'em

76duece

Sad but true. On Nov. 16th I purchased a Lynx manifold from a guy who goes by the name Minilite or Minilite1. Here's his original post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,314651/highlight,lynx+manifold/

Seemed like a nice enough guy via email, and made the transaction just like any other I have made on the forum with ZERO problems. I had believed there was nobody here that was a low life, but was proven wrong. Aparently he's a scammer, as Boxy02 had posted later.(just saw that post today, damm!) He gave me the same routine as Boxy02 stated, when I started asking about it's delivery, (in early Dec) he replied and wanted a contact number so we could "talk". I paid him 285.00 and never recieved the goods. Looks like he uses two email addresses: zoo_64@hotmail.com

speed_str@yahoo.com

The name on his paypal account is Syed Alam and he seems to use other names on this site like Sergio, 19682002, 19681600, and Dave Williams. I try to always be fair and honest buying and selling 02 parts, and this makes me sick. I had really looked forward to trying the manifold out, as the motor is being sent to Eric Kerman for a full rebuild, and he speakes highly of the manifold. So if ya'll could help me out with any info on him or just flood his inbox telling him he's a jerk, that would be great. Anybody have a Lynx they wanna part with?

Larry

So if ya'll could help me out with any info on him or just flood his inbox telling him he's a jerk, that would be great.

The name you mentioned rang a bell, so I went back and checked my PayPal records . . . turns out I purchased a set of wheels from Alam a few months ago (responding to a post on the FAQ) and the transaction went fine - I received the items and they were as described. Do we have a 'sometimes scammer' ???

I found another email address he used at the time of the transaction, email me and I'll get it to you.

I'm old enough to remember the days when you could "trust anyone under 30" - summer of love? That's how I've felt buying and selling from folks on this forum until all of this. Personally, I won't deal with anyone without a profile or positive history on this site. I think the advantage we have over CL and Ebay is that we are our own watch dogs.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I can understand your anger.

I experienced a similar feeling when i attempted to do civil business with 2002ad.

I suppose you used Paypal to pay for the items?

If you did, you can go through paypal to get your money back, or you can go through the credit card company that you have linked to the account.

Hopefully i wont have to used the aforementioned route with ben at 2002ad.

'75 2002

Photobucket

Hi

This guy wanted to trade me plus cash for that same set up. I would have taken him up on it but he just seemed a bit of a flake. Sorry I do not have anything more than that second email address.

I hope you get your money back soon,

Jb

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

I wouldn't bother with paypal. They always just say they can't get your money back... I've had one personal experience with this and heard the same thing from other people.

What I do when purchasing from someone I don't know is make sure paypal is drawing the funds from a credit card. You have to empty the account first b/c they won't let you do this with a paypal balance. The card companies don't mess around. I had my money credited immediately, and finalized in a week. I'm not sure if this will help you, but for future purchases it is a lifesaver.

It is also amazing how if you email someone and say you will reverse the charges how quickly things will show up...

Aric Vander Werff

1973 2002tii 1972 2002

Sorry you had to go through that, Larry.

I just wnt through it with this guy as you mentioned in your first post. I gave him ample opportunity to send my Dual Weber 40s, but he chose not to respond (at least 10 emails). I initially went through Paypal (I paid with a credit card) and disputed the transaction. He finally responded with a sob story about wheels in a box and it getting wet and falling out, too much of a hassle, will refund my $$. Well, I informed him that I did not buy wheels from him, I bought carbs (and at least one other person did as well) and haven't received a peep from him since. A day later, Paypal informs me that a refund has been initiated by "Syed Alam". Three days later, his bank denied the refund due to insufficient funds. That can't be, he has $360 of my cash and $360 from at least one other buyer of the carbs. I emailed Alam informing him he will either send me the carbs or refund my $360 by the 23rd of Dec or I will initiate a chargeback. No response. I charged back and he can go @$%& himself. I'm glad a few folks got their parts, but in the end, this guy is a scammer, preying on our FAQ people. I was stupid by only looking at the bright & shiney carbs and ignoring the warning signs, shame on me. This is the first time I've ever been scammed and I've bought and sold MANY parts on this site and Pelican Parts. Well, rant over, sorry. Beware of the wraning signs, Y'all.

Happy Holidays!!

Mike

74 2002

Yeah I recently bought something from this guy. just when it seemed like he was about to bone us all , I received my part as I know did a few others.

very poor email communication and none after payment, which is an extremely bad sign.

No seller should mind giving his full name and home address, buyers are at a disadvantage in these situations.

and also VIP: Paypal is no help, when I got ripped off last year by a prick on the site, Alonso (Lorena) Salas, Paypal told me : too bad.

make sure you use a credit card through the Paypal.

75 Manila

Where's Alonso?

Kamo! Does this bring back memories? Obviously it does, since you mentioned my old buddy Alonzo. Rhymes with douche. Maybe that is Alonzo working with a new name. Wouldn't be a big surprise to me. Hope everyone gets their parts or their money, I know what it feels like to get robbed on this site. And I'm not blaming the site. When all else fails, find that guy in Canada who let's you pay after you get the parts.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

• 1 year later...

Hey Larry, guess what? I also bought a lynx manifold from Syed Alam on March 18th, 2008 that I never received or got refunded for. Probably got us both with the same trick. I've been emailing him (m.m.garret@gmail.com) every few weeks or so since pestering him for a refund. I've gotten a few week responses every now and then but I've pretty much lost hope. I did actually talk to him on the phone once or twice at 501-908-2080, but I think that number's dead now. Anyway that's my story, so I guess we don't suffer alone.

-Carl