• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vwsone01

Finally got my car home from the body shop, got it home, swapped the wheels from the COMPOMOTIVES to the BBS RS, drove around again and parked to get coffee....and all of my coolant is all over the ground. Looked underneath and it is not coming from the radiator area, but towards the center of the motor! DAMNIT!!!

water pumps can take a DUMP suddenly like that.

Maybe while at the body shop - the coolent leaked

out and no-one said anything - you drive it - AIR POCKET!-

ANY HEAT ? - fill with water(don't waste antifreeze yet)

and pressure test the cooling system for leaks.

bmw02turborepairwPRAYERa.jpg

leaked out of water pump, coolent/heater hoses, heater core,

heater valve, radiator ???

02driverlookingatflattireRACEPhoto.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

water pumps can take a DUMP suddenly like that.

Maybe while at the body shop - the coolent leaked

out and no-one said anything - you drive it - AIR POCKET!-

ANY HEAT ? - fill with water(don't waste antifreeze yet)

and pressure test the cooling system for leaks.

leaked out of water pump, coolent/heater hoses, heater core,

heater valve, radiator ???

THANKS! will check all of the above and report the diagnosis.

Did you decide to keep the Compomotives? Any pics of the new paint and wheels?

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Did you decide to keep the Compomotives? Any pics of the new paint and wheels?

i switched it to my 16v...and i thought it was an offset of 30, but i was wrong. it is a 24...it rubbed hard when i was driving the 02 home. anyway, here are pics, and i will let you know if i do sell it. it does look pretty good on the 16v...

but the BBS RS looks good too on the 02, DILEMMAS!

post-13759-13667599301678_thumb.jpg

post-13759-13667599302517_thumb.jpg

post-13759-13667599303539_thumb.jpg

post-13759-13667599304536_thumb.jpg

Looks great! I love the look of the BBS RS too... get that water pump fixed and keep us updated!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Coolant running from "under the engine" can also come from the inlet heater hose bursting or cracking where it enters the cylinder head just below the dizzy. Check that hose too, and the outlet hose on the other side. Easier to replace than the water pump.

A quick & dirty way to check the water pump: with the engine off, grab the fan and try to wiggle it axially; more than a few mm of play (that's not the fan blades flexing) and you need a pump.

Hope it's the hose

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sorry to wander on this thread but I noticed a jack and one jackstand.

I was working on a Volvo like that once. I was lying in the exact same spot. I thought to myself, I really should be using two jackstands. I climbed out from under the car to go get the jackstand#2 and as I took my second step, the one jackstand collapsed and the car fell over taking the jack with it. I still cringe when I think about what could have happened. I had a wife, a two year old and a new baby at the time.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

on the way home from work after a long day, 10:00pm at night, and I was going 80mph when it died. I smelled it before I noticed the temp rising. that gave me time to kill it before it overheated.

remember all your senses when driving, a good sense of smell can let you know about problems even before your gauges. same goes for sticky brakes.

Jon