• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

idle jet clogged AGAIN

As some of you may remember I had a problem with a clogged idle jet earlier this week. I fixed the problem with carb cleaner and compressed air, and it worked fine. Unfortunately after driving the car 100 miles it clogged again. The fuel filter was replaced about 700 miles ago. IS there someway I can remedy this situation before I have the time/money to pull,hot tank, coat the fuel tank and replace the lines? Im thinking maybe another fuel filter (seems like if one doesnt work two wont either though). I also have a 32/36 and intake manifold that are supposed to be in good condition that I am going to eventually swap in, will this fix my problem? thanks guys,

Connor

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

last idea first - NO - swaping your new 32/36 carb

and manifold won't cure the crud i your fuel supply.

remove the gas tank sender unit and clean it's strainer

(first wait till you run the present tank down to RESERVE

level so you have little remaining in the tank to deal with.

If you fint the strainer is missing because P.O. removed it

for MORE POWER - buy a new sending unit.

With that tank sender/pick-up removed - mop out the

tank with a oily rag to pick up any dirt and crud.

If you can see that the inside tank metal is rusted - forget this

tank. REPLACE IT - their CHEEP and available. Forget about

future poor running or worse when on a trip with the car.

install a clear gas filter so you can monitor how much

crud your accumulating.

keep cleaning your jets - now your an expert, and it's good

maintanence anyway.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

you don't need to pull the tank

reach into the large hole on top - where

the sender/pick-up comes out.

remove your trunk floor board on the right and look see

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

thats slide show is pretty much it. i blew some air in the hole for the idle jet to try and remove any excess gunk. though I dont know if that really did anything. when you pull the idle jet it has 4 holes in it. one of these holes should be clogged, spray the shit out of it with carb cleaner and reinstall.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

with decent mechanical skills how long would you say it would take to pull, clean, and reinstall the gas tank.

If your filter is installed between the fuel pump and carb, the dirt is in the carb. You don't have to clean the tank, the filter is doing it's job. Filters upstream of the pump just make the possibility of pump vapor lock more likely in hot weather and create more of a system that is not filtered. The screen in the pickup assembly in the tank is sufficient so the pump is not harmed by anything small enough to get thru the screen.

But if you like messing around, cleaning the tank does no harm.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Some carburetors have a fine mesh strainer (element) at the inlet fitting. I don't recall if the Solex units have one.

And - if you are using a super cheapo plastic fuel filter (white or opaque with yellow cone-shaped internal filter), some of these can disentegrate based on all the additives used in the fuel today, sending the tiny filter fragments right into your carburetor.

And - if your fuel lines are old (or you are using vacuum tubing), the insides could be breaking down.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Careful when using those glass ones that have the screw-on ends. I used one on my 75 VW (Single 40 DRLA Dellorto) and one of the ends fell off!

Try to find a good molded plastic one or aluminum canister (like the tii ones). The last one at the bottom of the Dan's ad are typical for BMW's and VW's - just inspect them closely to see if there is any "fuzz" inside the element that could work out.

Here is a close-up of the plastic one: http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=576

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Make sure your float bowl is clean....

you can accumulate a metric buttload of junk in there,

and then it gets sucked in at random times.

If you really want a GOOD filter, you need an EFI filter.

I seem to remember that the 1984 Nissan Stanza had hose ends

instead of bolt- on fittings, but I'm sure there are others.

The little plastic things are usually adequate, though.

Usually.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL