• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

suggestions before engine install

robsanab

The shop said that my car should be finished tomorrow!!! (today I finally got around to installing all the pillar trim which i didn't realize needed to be installed before the windows). Now it needs to go back to the mechanic that took out the engine and who has a 5speed for me... I've got all the conversion parts and complete new suspension goodies...

my question... is there anything else i should think about doing while it's at the body shop and the engine and tranny is out?? I have a nice newly painted engine bay and all the rust is taken care of. I also have all the interior out... all i have left to do is re-route the rear sunroof drain tubes.

has anyone put sound deadening in the engine compartment? I have secondskin mat, which is good to 500 degrees and i have their liquid too. I'm just not sure if there is much room to do anything in there on the firewall... maybe just stick to sound deadening inside the car??

any other things to maybe address at this point?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Re-wrap the wiring harness

lighted rearview mirror

antenna on the roof like the e-30 M3

Put your battery under the rear seat. Build a battery box, cut part of your floor and weld it in, so it fits under your seat - passenger side.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

If you want it to look stock--i.e. cloth wrapping--go to local fabric/sewing store and buy some "bias tape" in black, half inch wide will work. It's used for hemming pants, skirts etc...more importantly it's cut on the bias, so it's stretchy. You can then wrap your wiring harnesses right over the existing cloth and pull the bias tape tight. Works like a charm.

If you're not so much interested in originality, you can buy vinyl harness tape--looks just like electrical tape but with no adhesive on the back. It's more durable than the cloth, and relies on its stretchiness to stay tight around the wiring harness. Industrial electrical supply companies have this stuff.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

a couple small things: fish everything that you have in the cavity at the end of the front rails (you will be surprised what you find), and make sure all your grommets that go thru the firewall (those protecting the harness) are in good shape, it is a lot easier replacing them now

FAQ Member # 91

If you going to replace the front brake lines (pass side) do it now. They are a PITA to get in or out with the engine in place! If possible I'd bench bleed the clutch slave because its hard to get to once the 5 speed is in place. I agree on getting all the wiring sorted out and re-wrapped- at least where needed.