• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pillar and headliner triming

robsanab

does anyone have pictures or can you describe how to finish the a, b and c-pillar trim? Also there is a long piece of vinyl shaped like it goes between the rear window and 'package shelf'. How is it trimmed in at the base of the c-pillar.

these details are really bugging me. The body shop took off most of this stuff and can't remember exactly how it goes back. I didn't realize until recently getting the headliner done that some things need to be installed BEFORE all the windows and their seals. There is not an engine in the car, so i had to tow the car to the headliner guy who informs me after installing it that he couldn't finish the pillars entirely. now it's back at the body shop and they are willing and seemingly able to finish it but they need some direction as to how it will look.

I was hoping that an interior shop could fix it and trim it afters the windows and seals... but the body shops says it looks like most of this stuff tucks into not only the windlacing but the window seals as well???

always so close to finishing, but not quite.

can anyone help me somehow??

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

thanks... but I've seen that post... the headliner is done (yeah!!).

It's what the finished pillars look like, both at the headliner and lower down... for example... how do the a and b-pillars get finished at the headliner AND how to finish the a-pillar at the dash? How does the parcel tray vinyl trim get finished at the c-pillar base... what gets tucked in where?? I can figure some of the details based on the creases in the original pillar trim but can't quite figure it all out... especially those areas that are very visible like at pillar-dash, pillar-headliner and such.

am i being too picky??

Rob

[quote name="

how do the a and b-pillars get finished at the headliner AND how to finish the a-pillar at the dash?

install the a and b pillar vinyl first. can applie light glue to edges if needed' date=' but i think the factory did not use glue.

fold the headliner over the area at the top of the pillars. the only seam you'll see is at the a-pillar where you made a fold in the headliner and tucked the other edges into the windshield lip and door jamb lip. your thick vinyl edging will cover the vertical edges of the pillar vinyl and across your door jam and 1/4 window openings.

How does the parcel tray vinyl trim get finished at the c-pillar base... what gets tucked in where??

the bottom edge merely dangles loosely (it is part of the headliner actually). your parcel tray is hardboard wrapped in vinyl. there is a curved vinyl strip that is installed before the rear windshield is installed, along the bottom edge. the parcel tray panel is installed later, at your convenience.

areas that are very visible like at pillar-dash, pillar-headliner and such.

dash covers the bottom edge. top of pillar has the small area of folded headliner visible, only

am i being too picky??

there's a first time for everyone. it's not a big deal, really

[/quote]

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

headliner goes in first, you can leave the edges of the a and b pillar trim rough and going down the pillars:

headliner_18.jpg

the a and b pillar trim pieces are folded over at the top to create a clean edge and glued into place over the headliner:

headliner_25.jpg

headliner_26.jpg

The rear vinyl above the parcel shelf goes in after the headliner as well. tough to see in this shot, but you'll never see the seam between the two once the tray and glass are installed:

RearGlass_install_01.jpg

the rear doorpanels will cover up the reat of the hanging headliner, just make sure you glue it down at the base.

Hope that helps!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

ah yes...thank you both... I THINK that answers the questions... I think i can tackle it. I'll get a heat gun, and some gloves, good glue and be patient.

Craig... i have marine blue interior... i found some auto/marine vinyl at just a regular ol' fabric store... called Joann's here in the NW. the blue is a little bluer than the super dark BMW marine blue, but I think it will look good. the fabric had the same look/texture and was at least as thick and good quality... 10 bucks a yard.

I think the a-pillar on all cars is black (mine was, because of the black dash... correct me if i'm wrong)... my blue interior had blue trim everywhere else.

Rob

My '72 has the same black on the A and B pillars. My '74's have black on the A pillars and the same color as the interior on the B pillars.

The black vinyl is thinner than the interior seat vinyl. I thought you had found a source for that vinyl. The dealership has original black and Marine Blue vinyl.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

What vinyl did you use for the A and B pillars?

I had my entire interior redone, so the vinyl used on the seats and doorpanels was used on a the a and b pillars, as well as above the parcel shelf. It came from the shop that did my upholstery work.

As for the clamps, I think I used somewhere between 600 and 800. Overkill? Maybe, but I wanted to make damn sure that I had as good a seal as possible with no wrinkles.

headliner_27.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I have my headliner in all the way to the front but I ripped the old A pillar vinyl. I was thinking I might have a problem with the fit if I used the thicker seat vinyl.

I've searched Real OEM for the correct vinyl a dozen times but can't find it on there.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers