• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shady business practices Double 02 Salvage in Hayward

superann

I only worked with them a couple of times. Personally, I hate to see anyone go out of business. It usually ends with an owner that pretty much looses everything he or she has worked a major portion of their life for. Another resource gone for us also. Maybe somebody can pick it up and make a go at it. I'm sure there are a ton of parts in there that we would love to have access to. 

This is terrible news...Double 02' salvage is (to 

me) an important part of the (my) 02' experience especially in the Bay Area..........ALL of the employees are good people. The prices are fair, the prices are based on a scale. I have always been given the best of the bunch used or new parts.....So, convenient and available.......... Same bad news as when Ed from Berkeley closed down....terrible....If you think prices are high now, just wait.............

I have purchased from Double 02 many times, always treated fair.  Marshal has been my go to contact.  Always phone orders and shipped to me as promised.  If they are closing I for one will miss this resource!   

• Like 2

Yep Ed was special. He had everything though...

And I don’t blame 02’ businesses prices for closing. I actually with delight blame the cars. These are some tough and durable cars fortunately, but unfortunately I/we don’t need parts daily or weekly....

I really didn’t have a need to buy from Double 02’ often enough to help with the collective keeping them a float...But, I never imagined them packing it up...

Just a thought WE might want to go out of our way to buy from our existing suppliers, often  so we can have them around for many years to come...

Put simply 02’ businesses going out of business is not a good thing.. Just like Datsuns, Fiat, Mazda Rx7, Triumph (although there’s a parts place in Campbell) it’s just to say WE need these places to be around...

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, conkitchen said:

I went there once circa 2010 to buy a part, It was over priced and in crappy condition and the guys were not overly helpful. That being said, I asked about how they came to that price and the response was " where else are you gonna find it" I told him online or Craigslist. His retort was well there goes another illegal parts dismantlier with no license or overhead.  I think they knew the end was near. 

You were there in 2010...EIGHT YEARS AGO...and...."the end was near"?

-smirk- what a load of crap.

I called 'em, Marshall said nothing all's well and not closing up shop. I've known these guys for decades, in a way I am VERY sorry I promoted this thread with a comment seeings as theres not enough hot cocoa to go around for all the butt-hurt kids expecting to be pandered to. 

Edited by dp
  • Like 2

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

I first went there way back...might have been the late 70's.... It's in a rough part of Hayward off 880 and I was a meek teen from the Peninsula ....BUT.... They had every part I ever needed. In particular interest was the killer bulletin board with MANY used 02's for sale, parts and stuff. I made more than a few connections off that.

Best deal I ever got there> I bought a used gearbox for my 1800ti for 100 bux with clean syncros!

Everyone was really nice....Flash forward to my last visit in the late 90's. A different vibe existed. More of a salvage yard attitude. 

Edited by iinca

When I saw the post about Double 02 Salvage, I felt sad.  I am happy that all is okay and they are in business.  I have been a customer for many years and they have always exceeded my expectations.  Not only have they provided me parts, but they have rebuilt by differential and drive axles.  When the engine builder misplaced the engine's lift hook, they sourced one from a 320i; cutting off the sensor made it an exact match.  I needed a local reference to a welder to fix my front sub frame and they had an excellent resource in the same neighborhood.

I like the salvage yard feel.  The cars (many 2002's) parked on American Avenue are always awesome to see.  The weekly wreck in the parking lot is always a plus.  The staff is very helpful.  I hope the revenue received from providing parts for newer model BMW's allows them to continue supporting our cars for many years!

• Like 2

1972 2002tii

1975 911

2003 Tacoma