• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here, I have a few questions

KaBar6

Hi everyone. My father and I are looking at rebuilding our 1976 2002. To make a long story short, it was stolen about 15 years ago, found in a Geneva Rock yard, and left for junk. It was recovered a year later only to find that the professionals involved stripped it. They took the engine(suckers, it had a cracked head lol) and they stripped out the electricals. They tried to take the transmission out, but that didn't go so well.

Anyways, I have finally convinced my dad to get it restored, after it's been in storage for the last 15 years. The car was found under a conveyor belt for the rocks in this quarry, and the chrome is warn off so we are going to be looking at getting a restoration project almost down to the bone. I can't remember the condition of the paint, but the storage place we put it in is the dumps.

So, what we are looking at is an EFI engine, and a transmission swap from an automatic to a 5 speed. What is the best engine out there? We are looking for power and reliability. Which options are available?

As far as suspension goes, we want it to take corners, like taking a drive up a canyon that won't be boring. Strut tower braces, shocks, springs etc.

Now, for the expense. We aren't sure how much it is going to be to get it restored for enjoyable driving. So, does anyone have any ideas as to how much we are looking at spending? New engine, transmission swap, electricals, suspension, and possibly a new paint job. Any ball park guesses would help.

Thanks.

as for the engine , i would go S14 or maybe do a little research about the guys who swapped in a M42 engine , otherwise i would stick to a fresh built M10 with some goodies on it.

board members can help out gettin certain parts , so try searching the board and you will find tons of infos . try Mr.Blunt for parts and C.D.iesel's posts for info's .

try the faq store and IE site , 2002 haus for average costs . and remember , every single car is a whole other deal , depends on how much you want to spend , and how big you want to go and wich route you want to take.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,9/Itemid,59/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,7/Itemid,59/

http://www.2002haus.com/parts.htm

http://www.bmw2002.com/

i would like to take the opportunity and ask wether if anybody tried the GC stuff ? http://www.ground-control-store.com

bmwfans_userbar.png

-Living in the wrong side of the world ..

Cheers

Chatroom John

a few photos of your 'shell' would help our estimating,

and I'll blindly say at this point :

$10,000 ... $20,000 to get it

going 80mph down the highway.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

That much? What about just sticking to the M10 motor and beefing that up? I assume EFI is more expensive to do? We may not even get it painted. I am going to go to the storage place this weekend, I'll take a few pictures then.

Anyways, there is a slight problem. The rear wheels are locked, and I think the transmission is seized. Any idea of what size the bolts are that are connected to the driveshaft?

I've also been in contact with 2002ad, and we are planning on trailering the car down to California so that they can take a look at it, and we would make a final decision there. I believe we are looking at restoring the car if the price is right, and we don't really have a set budget right now, and cost isn't really the issue. He's basically a first owner because the original owner owned it for 9 months and then sold it to my dad, so it's more of sentimental value than anything.

The rear wheels are locked, and I think the transmission is seized. Any idea of what size the bolts are that are connected to the driveshaft?

Suspect this might be rear brakes that are stuck--chances are pretty good the tranny is not.

Some suggestions on building the car...

1. Stick with an M-10 engine--easy to find either in pieces or intact; parts are not expensive and are plentiful. If you want to modernize it, a MegaSquirt EFI seems to be very popular and relatively easy to adapt to an M10...Lotsa stuff in the archives on it. Or just go with a Weber. You can get 115-120 hp (vs 100 stock) with nothing more than a Weber 32/36 carb, a mild cam (284 or so) and higher compression pistons (like 9.5:1 vs 8:1 stock).

2. 5 Speed is a good idea; easy conversion from an automatic, huge amount of doucumentation on how to, including from an automatic.

3. Unless you're going racing, for street good handlling the usual larger sway bars, Bilstein shocks and some lowering springs (Eibach, H&R, Ireland) will do the trick.

Bottom line--don't go too radical right out of the box--an '02 will never be as fast as a new Bimmer, but is a well handling car to begin with--relatively minor tweaking can make a big difference, as can 15-20 hp boost. Remember, it only weighs about 22-2300 lbs, less than a Mini.

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority--and read the board....lotsa info and help here.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

"I've also been in contact with 2002ad....."

Don't forget to do a forum search about 2002AD.

No bias here, I have always gotten my product but that is not the general concensus.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

With what it sounds like you have, It would probably be more cost effective to buy a nicer car, and use your current one as a parts car.

P.S. I wouldn't drag a dead cat to 2002ad, much less my car.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

What's wrong with 2002AD? Problem is we can't find anyone local in Utah to restore it. I asked them for some prices and they just said "it all depends", new motor with transmission is what, 3-4k? They just told us to bring it down to them and they will take a look at it. Is there someone better than 2002AD? We would like to make a drive to California, and or some neighboring states. Any other suggestions as to where we should take the car?

Thanks for the suggestions.

2002AD is notoriously slow.

Go to "Links" at the top of this website and select "Vendors, (etc)". There are 0 - 5 star rating scores. I believe any of the first five vendors on the list will do restorations, and they're in CA.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Thanks for the heads up. Between 2002haus and coupe king, which shop would you recommend? The engine would need to just be dropped in, so no need for a "swap". Only swap would be is a 5 speed and I see that 2002haus has a "bolt on" swap available. Out of those 2 shops, which is the most cost effecient? Thanks again for all the replies.